The Supression of Fear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3882560, member: 9609"]Incredible behavioural instincts are passed through genetic code - take the Cuckoo, raised by maybe a Meadow Pipit or Dunnock, then knows how to migrate to the Congo.

but back to snakes - interesting (but very unethical study) here
http://www.universityherald.com/art...wired-in-the-brains-of-monkeys-and-humans.htm[/QUOTE]

Interesting, but doesn't refute either view - the study only examined one threatening stimuli, snakes. The responding neurons may or may not respond to other stimuli with similar characteristics - tentacles, spaghetti, etc. that would support my opinion that generic, not specific, fears have genetic influences.

It's a shame they only used stimuli of snakes, monkey faces/hands and geometric objects, but they were looking for evidence to support a theory that snakes had an influence on the evolution of high quality vision, not the causes of fear.

albion

Guru
I'm someone who has also spent much of the summer climbing ladders, painting the masonry of a now seemingly very large house.
I spotted a wasp purposely hover by a disused overflow pipe to near permanently disappear, me thinking at the time, ah wasps nest.

Well, it is a wasps nest of one. I have not seen any at all since. Some reckon pesticides have by neurotoxic way, killed all the wasps and bees.

Top Bottom