The Three Peaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Done it several times, not to be underestimated, especially if not used to walking, plenty of Vaseline on the feet, the bit between Pen-y-ghent and Whernside can get quite waterlogged in wet weather.

Its a right of passage for any Yorkshireman, who should do it at least once.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
If he is not a hill walker he may find it quite hard. What is his hill walking experience like? Is he doing it as part of a lrge event or just some mates giving it a go?

Mates giving it a go, but at least one has done it before. maybe more than one. Hill walking experience...........not a lot, about zero.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The three national peaks.
Doing this by driving between them is so ecologically unfriendly. Cycling between the three is good. I've raced a number of Three Peaks races - or as they are known in certain circles 'the boat race'.
https://www.threepeaksyachtrace.co.uk/
61032d_9280f9e2cb6b458c861eecead6c51afd.gif

And given this is 'Cycle'chat, the annual Three Peaks race over Ingleborough/Whernside/Pen-y-Ghent is held in September each year.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thought the four national peaks time limit was 36 hours. With 48 for the five.
This was a company charity event timed fromand return to Milton Keynes. As far as I know you are correct re the national time limits are correct. Event was only open to employees family and friends a large percentage of which had never attempted this type of event.

Hardest part was getting people who sponsored me to pay up.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mates giving it a go, but at least one has done it before. maybe more than one. Hill walking experience...........not a lot, about zero.

Needs to get some hill walking in lots of the ligaments and tendons used when hill walking will be weak for your son. If he doesn't then he is likely to injure himself. They will need to navigate, and if the one who has done it before drops out, who will take over so they can finish?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's only one Three Peaks.

correct, providing one ignores the other three peaks, being Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Done them several times both running (which I always found easier) and walking. It depends entirely on how fit the person is. Do loads of looooong runs and walks to get yourself used to the equipment and making sure every item of gear is fully functional for the conditions. Hot, dry conditions can be as debilitating as energy-sapping mud and slime. And under no circumstances get a bath on the evening of the undertaking. Just to repeat; do NOT get a bath after the event. You need as much cold as your legs will tolerate to speed up the healing process.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yorkshire three peaks is a great day. I did it with work, I did loads of training walks in Leicestershire with walks up to 20 miles. It gave me the fitness to do the walk but didn't prepare me for the gradients. I was cream crackered after the first field :laugh:

Once I'd got over the shock of that first field I was fine and it was a great day. Change of socks half way round is my tip

Top Bottom