The tour of your life-want to join?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyremark

Hi all, some who keep an eye on this forum may be aware that at the moment an epic bike tour/rally is being planned from the UK all the way to Kenya to raise money for charity, open for all to join!

Its a way off yet but progress is good, we have our first newsletter
Check it out.

Riders are starting to join and publicity is getting bigger, if you want to see what goes into a ride as big as this, or indeed you are tempted to join, please visit the web site

ALso I would love to ask for some help from you my fellow riders, we have no budget to organise this event so ANY HELP would be very welcome, even if its passing the website onto a friend or contact who may be interested!

Also please feel free to add ANY comments you may have about the ride, even if you dont think it can be done, I like a challange!

Cheers
Mark Nash

ASC1951

Guru
Tyremark said:
Also please feel free to add ANY comments you may have about the ride,
OK. It's a very worthwhile cause, but a four month ride? Why not just stay at work and send them half your wages?

I make my own donations - www.karuna.org - and I don't expect people to sponsor my jollies. But then I'm just a cynical old tosspot.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
But then I'm just a cynical old tosspot
Oh, don't going running yourself down.

You're not 'just' a cynical old tosspot.

You're the absolute epitome of a cynical old tosspot.

But I do support your sentiment; sometimes I'm a little confused as to who the real beneficiaries are of these schemes might be and to what degree.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Don't be too harsh...each rider pays his own way and commits to raising money, it doesn't sound like sponsor money is subsidising the trip!

I'm raising sponsor money on our forthcoming tour because it seemed like a good opportunity to raise money for a charity I volunteer with. But I'm funding own trip completely. Is that very different from the Kenya trip?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
Don't be too harsh...each rider pays his own way and commits to raising money, it doesn't sound like sponsor money is subsidising the trip!

I'm raising sponsor money on our forthcoming tour because it seemed like a good opportunity to raise money for a charity I volunteer with. But I'm funding own trip completely. Is that very different from the Kenya trip?

It seems like a pretty inefficient way to raise £3000 per participant.

It also doesn't sound well organised.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree about the organisation but who says fund raising ever has to be efficient? There will be people achieving things they never thought they could on this (and any) bike ride. I'm not fussed about efficiency!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you didn't make fund raising fun the money wouldn't be raised at all so maybe every little helps. Just asking people for money for what you think is a good cause probably doesn't work these days.
I normally argue this one from the opposite side though about people getting free holidays etc:blush:

JonJon

The way I read about the trip, I think it's not meant to be organised!

I agree about many charity schemes being another way to raise personal funds, but on their forum they talk about raising up to £4,000 for their own costs. So surely it's better to go on a ride to Kenya - if that's your thing - AND raise £3,000 for charity, than to do the trip without?!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
rich p said:
I normally argue this one from the opposite side though about people getting free holidays etc:blush:

Me too. Nothing makes me madder than people asking me to subsidise their holidays. But using your own (paid for) holiday to get cash for good causes out of people? No issue with that.

Confused - I thought with most charity rides the money goes straight to the charity and the participants pay themselves for transport, accommodation, etc, so can't see how it's subsidising holidays...Or have I got it wrong somehow?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think it depends from trip to trip but there are many where the person DOING the trip has their trip costs subsidised which is a bit unfair to the sponsors. But it depends.

Yes, googled Jana of the jungle, and then my friend said she used to watch it, but apparently jungle Jana's name is pronounced with a J while mine is a Y...still, quite impressed at having an amazon namesake!!! xx(

Top Bottom