The TREK Downhill gloves

Using leather cycling gloves?

• Yes I do!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I wish I could find gloves made of real leather!

• Real leather?! - leather replacements are best!

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nightRider

Hi all,

I ride to work around 17km (11 miles) in each direction, 5 days a week.
Some time ago I bought myself a new pair of gloves (TREK Downhill) and about 2-3 weeks later I started suffering from lower-arm and wrist pain.

I cannot explain exactly why the gloves are to be blamed but I never had such problems before and I ride since 10 years or so. I estimate that the glove's design makes my hand take a wrong position when holding the steering bar.

I wrote a detailed review (with pictures!) about this pair of gloves as I thought it might interest someone. I found few things about those gloves I put in a small list:

First the pros:

• The gloves look great, they really do.
  • The gloves are sturdy and will certainly protect you in the moment you will really need them.
  • Parts of the thumb and wrist of the glove are covered with towel-like cloth for wiping away sweat and tears from your face.
  • The gloves have an easy to use tightening strap around the wrist.
  • The gloves are fairly well ventilated. I’ve seen better ventilation but not with such a sturdy glove.

And then the cons:

• Some inner glove parts stick out and create pressure points on your skin.
  • Plastic parts that should protect the knuckles is located too low – misses its purpose.
  • The two silicone gripper fingertips built for better breaking control are a bit too sticky – sometimes they get stuck on things you didn’t mean them to.
  • The Kevlar crash pads backed with memory foam are located in the wrong place – when I ride my palm gets most of the pressure in a spot that is not padded.
Two_TREK_up_down_B.jpg

Did any of you ever had the same problem?
How did you solve it?
What pair of gloves is your favorite?
Why can't I find any cycling leather gloves anymore?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Is your route to work downhill off-road all the way?
At what point in your commute do you want or need plastic knuckle protectors?

Would you buy a tennis dress to go swimming in!?

OP
OP
N

nightRider

Cubist said:
Is your route to work downhill off-road all the way?
At what point in your commute do you want or need plastic knuckle protectors?

Would you buy a tennis dress to go swimming in!?

Hi Cubist,

I ride off-road on the weekends.

On weekdays I only ride to work. When I do ride to work I only go on paved streets and sidewalks. I guess that it doesn't matter where you ride, you want to be protected so the plastic knuckles wouldn't hurt.

But this is not why I bought the gloves - I bought them because they seemd snug, sturdy and comfortable when I tried them on in the shop.

Swimming in a tennis outfit? - I should try that once :-)

OP
OP
N

nightRider

gaz said:
If your just commuting on the road, why not use mitts? more comfortable.

gaz , you might be right.
For some reason I am not the fan of mitts. I also fear they will not protect me if I do get to fall. It did happen to me already 6 times over 15 years of riding.

I also think full-finger gloves look cooler - but that is only me expressing my own private taste.

OP
OP
N

nightRider

like-bikes.co.uk said:
Also, what grips are you using? I've used Ergon's for the last few years and found that they help ensure that the contours of your hands are in the most comfortable position, helping to ease any pressure point problems etc.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/gb/en/home#

That is a cool idea,

I was thinking about buying something similar for some time now - the price tag and the fact that I was not sure this really helps, were the only things preventing me from doing it so far. But I think for the kind of riding I do on weekdays I MUST buy myself a pair of those grips. After your recommendation I think I will simply go for the Ergons.

I will report once I bought myself a pair! :biggrin:

Thank you for the tip

Jezston

Über Member
nightRider said:
Hi Cubist,
When I do ride to work I only go on paved streets and sidewalks.

By your use of the term 'sidewalks' I assume you are based in the US?

Because if you were in the UK, that would be technically illegal and much frowned upon.

OP
OP
N

nightRider

In Rome act like a Roman...

I was not aware of the fact that riding on sidewalks in the UK is being frowned upon. Probably justly.

You can be sure I would not ride sidewalks, is the British term pavements?, were I riding in the UK. :-)
I mostly ride those bike-roads paved/marked on sidewalks.

And I think that British accent is one of the most delightful accents you can get around the world! - but that is already a different matter.

Top Bottom