The ubiquity of Kalloy parts in OEM finishing kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've noticed a lot of similarities across the finishing kit on my more recent bikes and digging a bit deeper suggests that Chinese brand Kalloy might have much of the OEM market for finishing kit sewn up.

It seems that the stem on my Genesis is a re-branded AS007N, while that on my Boardman appears to be a gloss-finished, rebranded variant of the lighter AS025. I also think that the Oval branded item that came off my Fuji is also likely to be a Kalloy item. The AS007N also looks to be sold by Chain Reactions under the BrandX label for about £13 a pop while various permulations of the Uno-branded Kalloy items are available on ebay.

To back up these assumptions, the tag on a new Boardman stem I bought some time ago was exactly the same as that I've seen on some Kalloy items being reviewed on ebay, while the styling of some of the bar clamps is pretty distinctive.

It appears that the seatposts on the Genesis, Boardman and Fuji are all re-branded / re-finished variants of either the SP619 or SP629 (only difference appears to be the material spec).. and again these are fairly unique looking parts.

Moving onto bars, the backswept and flattened HBAR31 looks very much like the Oval-branded items on my Fuji, the compact HB022 looks a lot like the bars found on my Boardman and there are a raft if flared items that look very similar to the bars on my Genesis.

Finally the SC205 seatpost clamp looks a lot like that on my Genesis, however they don't list it in the correct size tubing so maybe not.. while I can't find anything similar to the Fuji item and tbh have forgotten what the Boardman's seatpost clamp looks like.

While these bits are never going to be high-end I've generally been very happy with the apparently-Kalloy-sourced finishing kit on my bikes; with the exception of the seatpost clamp on the Genesis which was cack and has now been canned in favour of something much nicer.

I find it somewhat interesting how much OEM market saturation this brand have apparently managed / how common and interchangeable these parts apparently are, and IMO it's also useful to know the source / commonality of these parts from the perspectives of cross-compatability and tbh known quality. This means that should you require a replacement part (for example a stem) but can't find the actual brand, you stand a better bet of sourcing a geometrically-identical alternative with another name on it (that can always be removed with acetone ;) ).

Interesting stuff, depending on how boring your day is.. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I haven't noticed to be honest, but I have a pair of Kalloy stubby bar ends on my S type Brompton, bought yonks ago (15 years maybe)so they have been in "the game" a while.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I haven't noticed to be honest, but I have a pair of Kalloy stubby bar ends on my S type Brompton, bought yonks ago (15 years maybe)so they have been in "the game" a while.

Yeah, I think they've been at it for quite some time given who they have on the books. There's quite a lot of vintage stuff of theirs on ebay too..

Top Bottom