The ultimate insult?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
This afternoon I came out of the library to find that somebody had stolen my padlock and chain but left my bike.

Which of the following scenarios are the most likely?

1) I interrupted a theft in progress - somebody walked away from the bike stands as I approached them but there was another bike there;

2) Somebody began to steal my bike but decied that it wasn't worth bothering with - it's only got 15 gears, it's too big for most people and there are some rather distinctive scratches on it;

3) They were taking the piss;

4) None of the above.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
5) You're losing your marbles and you left your lock and chain at home.

potsy

Rambler
Maybe they were trying to show you how crap your lock is/was
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've mentioned this on another forum and came to the conclusion that I'd probably interrupted a theft in progress.

If the person I saw walking away had left his bike in the cycle-stand then he'd have gone to the trouble of cycling up a long steep ramp only to walk down the steps beside it.

There was another cycle-stand at the bottom of the ramp, it just wouldn't have made sense.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You've come home with the wrong bike and some poor sod is whinging about thieving scum

That one made me laugh...

If you are really bothered by it all - you could ask the library if there is any cctv covering the area ...

Was the other bike locked up - can you remember if it was there before you went in?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
A few years back I left my Saab unlocked out on the road all night. In the morning the car was still there although someone had nicked the handbook but they'd left all my CDs - I was quite offended, some folk have got no taste...

Davidc

Guru
I like this one best.

I'd be ashamed to put up a post like this. chain and lock worth more than bike. Please don't say you reported it. :laugh:

I've said this a few times before - fit an alarm. Had mine go off again last Wednesday when I was in a class I attend. The person running away was described as male and aged about 13.

Either one that bolts onto the bike (try ebay) or an alarm padlock just locked onto the bike frame.

HelenD123

Guru
A few years back I left my Saab unlocked out on the road all night. In the morning the car was still there although someone had nicked the handbook but they'd left all my CDs - I was quite offended, some folk have got no taste...

Just had to check you're not a friend of mine! The exact same thing happened to him. Someone got into his Saab, rifled through his CDs and left them all behind. He was most offended!

carolonabike

A friend of mine kept her car (a Fiat Uno) outside her garage. She looked out of her bedroom window one morning and noticed her car on the other side of the street. When she went out to check, someone had broken into her car, moved it then stolen the lawn mower from the garage. They left her car though. :biggrin:

heretic

A former workmate of mine was a Sheffield Wednesday nutter.... Until they got a real hammering one day and he couldn't face it any more. He went back to the car before the game was finished, picked up a hammer and a nail from the toolbox and nailed his season ticket to the gate. About 2 hours later he cooled off a bit and decided to check if his ticket was still there. When he got back to the ground the ticket was lying on the floor - but someone had nicked the nail.:ohmy:

Top Bottom