The use of apostrophes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
philipbh said:
"... this is consistent with the assertion that ... <insert assertion> (Smith & Clark, Year)

In your references list at the back of your paper, full reference to the paper containing the assertion (Harvard System, probably...)

BONUS: no need to worry about the apostrophe :tongue:

YES PLEASE!! See here: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1032500&postcount=10

I thank you kindly.

*ahem*

Anyway, I should think that our use of apostrophes confuses the Germans - in German apostrophe-S is a contraction of "es" - eg "Ich kann es machen" can be written "Ich kann's machen". And they never use apostrophes with the Genitive Case (which is roughly equivalent to the Possessive Case in English).

Observer 13th December has this to ad'd...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
XmisterIS said:
Anyway, I should think that our use of apostrophes confuses the Germans - in German apostrophe-S is a contraction of "es" - eg "Ich kann es machen" can be written "Ich kann's machen". And they never use apostrophes with the Genitive Case (which is roughly equivalent to the Possessive Case in English).
Not quite. What about, "Marx' Schriften waren revolutionär" or "Ich finde Jonas' Ethik der Verantwortung überzeugend"? (From my German textbook, 'Der Treffende Ausdruck", "When a proper name or a word referring to a family member that is used as a proper name is in the genitive, it precedes the noun it modifies. It adds an s without an apostrophe unless the word ends in an s-sound – s, ß, z, tz, x – in which case an apostrophe is added without the s."

Top Bottom