The Weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laurentius

It has been well dodgy on the pavements tonight (as a pedestrian), but at least the road was gritted. I am wondering whether Trikes driven on the one wheel only are a disadvantage on icy roads compared to two wheels. I expect at least I will not fall off it, but then I have already experienced the difficulty of getting purchase on slippery terrain due to mud and wet leaves.

It has been well dodgy on the pavements tonight (as a pedestrian), but at least the road was gritted. I am wondering whether Trikes driven on the one wheel only are a disadvantage on icy roads compared to two wheels. I expect at least I will not fall off it, but then I have already experienced the difficulty of getting purchase on slippery terrain due to mud and wet leaves.

Sticking to treated roads, is a good idea at this time of year.

You change your tyres depending on conditions.
If it's icy then you put studded winter tyres on as the studs bite into the ice to give you grip.
The snow you want deep treaded MTB tyres.
If you get caught out then it's possible to use zip ties fastened around your tyres to make studs ...... ^_^

fatjel

Veteran
Went out on a club ride today on the trike , was very icy and the two wheel brigade turned round after a mile or so and went home ..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Studded tyres on driven wheel and other wheels will act like skis on a trike.

Sharky

Guru
If you get caught out then it's possible to use zip ties fastened around your tyres to make studs ...... ^_^

Man, many years ago, I used to watch the Kirby track meetings and noticed that some of the riders used to use insulation tape round their tubs and rims to keep their tubs secure to their rims. They can have a habit of twisting if not glued enough. I thought that's a good idea, so the next day I tried it with my tubs/rims.

Only got to the end of the road when I realised that it does work with rim brakes!

So obvious, but don't use zip ties with rim brakes.

simongt

Guru
After wimping out and using the car because of freezing conditions Monday & Tuesday, I looked @ the forecast for Wednesday, which said rain later. Okay, packed my waterproofs and cycled to work: 15.00h - 23.00h shift. 22.30h., it began to SNOW - ! Oops - ! :eek: But as I had little choice and realised that it wasn't actually freezing, I set off. It was so nice - ! Steady snow for the whole 12 miles, delightfully quiet much of the way and most of the few cars that came up behind me followed for about half a mile or so - @ about 10 - 12mph - ! Wimps - ! :rofl:Arrived home looking like a snowman, but really a nice commute. :thumbsup:

simongt

Guru
So obvious, but don't use zip ties with rim brakes.
Indeed. When I were lad many, many years ago, 'Fixed' a split in the tread on the front tyre on my bike by wrapping insulating tape around tyre & rim. Great - until I had to brake - ! Doh - ! :eek: :rofl:

Top Bottom