The Weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Aren't we having really nice weather. Yesterday I thankfully decided to have a rest day and not cycle in to work as it was blowing a gale and peeing it down. I'm very glad that I did as we had a thunder storm later in the day and the rain started to get torrential. Work was actually hit by lightening as well which caused a power surge and has damaged some electrical items (unfortunately not my phone or PC!). We had two power cuts at home as well. So much for the summer.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
:sad:. It is annoying but it's so easy to forget we're going through such an incredibly dry year this year.

rh100

I was stood outside fitting new mudguards, just a couple of drops of rain in the air, then all of a sudden it came down hard, I've never seen rain start like that so fast. I chucked everything in the shed and waited for it to lighten up but got soaked in seconds.

Bad headwind this morning also, hope tonights weather is ok, want to get out on the bike.

here's hoping the wind eases as well - have to commute home in a couple of hours... got soaked coming in before by shower and slower than usual because of the wind. Sky's blue from my window at the moment, but clouds are still hurrying by and keep having very heavy down pours and strong winds. Don't really want to get soaked going home as well.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So much for the summer.

But that is summer. Dry spell, build up of heat and humidity, thunderstorm. There's a month and a half of summer to go yet, plenty of time for more sun. And then very likely an Indian summer in September.

Actually, it's been too hot for me for comfort a lot of the time - esp working outdoors in a black uniform, and no shorts, only long trousers, and heavy workboots.

A bit of rain is pretty refreshing!

BearPear

Veteran
We were at the cycling in Colne last night and left the rain behind in Yorkshire, hopped over the Penines to their lovely sunny evening, only for "our" weather to arrive about an hour later and there was a very sudden heavy downpour followed by thunder & lightening. The poor elite riders had just taken to the route to warm up when the heavens opened. I was frozen stiff.

Today we have had sunshine & showers and we have the strong wind too.

Tomorrow my son is off camping in North Wales (with a bunch of geeks he has never met off World of Warcraft). I hope that they have decent weather, camping in wind & rain is never good, even if you are with your nerd herd!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I got very very wet this morning... but at least I had waterproofs ... the friend (daft person who doesn't look at weather forecast's?
blink.gif
) I was with didn't take any ... even sheltering under the tree we were still getting soaked.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just hung some washing out which is the Sussex equivalent of the Apache raindance

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
We were at the cycling in Colne last night and left the rain behind in Yorkshire, hopped over the Penines to their lovely sunny evening, only for "our" weather to arrive about an hour later and there was a very sudden heavy downpour followed by thunder & lightening. The poor elite riders had just taken to the route to warm up when the heavens opened. I was frozen stiff.

Today we have had sunshine & showers and we have the strong wind too.

Tomorrow my son is off camping in North Wales (with a bunch of geeks he has never met off World of Warcraft). I hope that they have decent weather, camping in wind & rain is never good, even if you are with your nerd herd!

Well, I hope his tent is
a) very waterproof and
b ) well anchored down
as I'm in the deepest darkest depths on North Wales and the weather has been abysmal. If he is camping in Snowdonia, he can experience the following delights tomorrow; http://www.metoffice...t_pressure.html

potsy

Rambler
I got very very wet this morning... but at least I had waterproofs ... the friend (daft person who doesn't look at weather forecast's?
blink.gif
) I was with didn't take any ... even sheltering under the tree we were still getting soaked.

Did you not take your brolley
biggrin.gif
29mph wind here today not nice to ride into
sad.gif

al78

Guru
Aren't we having really nice weather. Yesterday I thankfully decided to have a rest day and not cycle in to work as it was blowing a gale and peeing it down. I'm very glad that I did as we had a thunder storm later in the day and the rain started to get torrential. Work was actually hit by lightening as well which caused a power surge and has damaged some electrical items (unfortunately not my phone or PC!). We had two power cuts at home as well. So much for the summer.

It should improve a bit over the weekend and next week, at least in the southern part of the country. To be fair though, we do need the rain, it has been incredible dry for months now. You expect to get periodic unsettled spells in the UK, this is not the Mediterranean after all.

Summer, in the sense of a period hot sunny days, is really often just a brief thing anyway. Summer in the sense of a prolonged period of light mornings and evenings is about 4 months, which is the way I prefer to look at it. Rainfall in summer at least tends to be a warmer experience than in the rest of the year!

Top Bottom