the wind is not my friend!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loops

I was aware it was a little windy today but found that once I was out in the peaks it was blowing me around on my bike. I think this affects me badly as a beginner as I am not very confident, however I found it was 20 times worse controlling my bike going down hill, I am not sure if I am making the handling of my bike more difficult by breaking so much when going down hill.
I have been told several times 'oh you can always tell a novice they break downhill!', which is true but am not sure how to take the plunge and stop this for fear that I will be less able to control the bike. I was blown into the middle of the road today when I did let go of the breaks, fortunately there was no car passing.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I'm no expert but in my honest opinion, ignore what everyone else is saying and ride to "your limits" If braking downhill and keeping your speed controlled makes you feel more comfortable, keep doing it unti your confidence grows.

You have all the time in the world to develop your cycling skills, don't allow yourself to feel rushed, just enjoy.

Paul

D

Deleted member 1258

Just ride in a way that you find comfortable, it takes a little time to build the confidence and skills you need. If its any consolation I've been riding for over 40 years and a couple of weeks ago I was braking on a descent in windy conditions.

OP
OP
loops

loops

thanks for the reassurance, I think your right about being tense I had to stop for a rest! going down one hill as my neck and shoulders hurt so much! Today I was in the strange situation of feeling happier on the return journey up the hills!

Top Bottom