THE WIRE 60 episodes start tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

Fantastic .:sad: starts tonight ,the complete series of 'The Wire' about (£100 worth of DVD's free ).
What luck I was just about to buy series 1 & 2

Hope I've got enough space on the hard drive :sad:

spandex

I love Dr D
Well go out and buy a bigger hard drive:evil:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just getting to the end of Season 4 on my £100s worth of DVDs.:sad:

Being a member of the liberal lefty PC brigade, I was reading the guardian this weekend and they had an interview with David Simon, the creator of The Wire. You think his characters are angry!

I'd recommend 'Homicide, A Year on the Killing Streets', David Simon's book about the B'more murder po-leese. The Corner, his other 'Wire' book, is being published in the UK for the first time next month. I've ordered a copy.

Random Wire fact. The actor playing Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale's double-dealing consigliere is English - the Hackney-born Idris Elba . If you see his performance, you'll know why I'm pointing this out.

thomas

the tank engine
spandex said:
BTW what is The Wire about?

I finished the last series the only month. Make sure you give it a few episodes, I didn't like it much after the first but when you get into it you'll be stuck! You basically get to see the two sides of the law - those dealing the drugs and those trying to catch the drug dealers.

Bollo said:
Random Wire fact. The actor playing Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale's double-dealing consigliere is English - the Hackney-born Idris Elba . If you see his performance, you'll know why I'm pointing this out.

He was in RockNRolla and I kept expecting a balt'mar accent to come out :biggrin:. Dominic West (the main guy) is also English I think.

Also, it's on BBC isn't it? Will it be on iplayer does anyone know?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
***PLOT SPOILER**

thomas said:
He was in RockNRolla and I kept expecting a balt'mar accent to come out :biggrin:. Dominic West (the main guy) is also English I think.
String, Marloe and Omar are three of the toppest characters to beam into my living room.

Yeah, Dominic West is from Sheffield. His accent isn't always convincing, but I think some of that is because he's playing Oirish Po-leese. West's parents are Irish, so it maybe its accurate. He also played Oliver Cromwell in 'The Devil's Whore' with a slightly funny ooo-aaar twang.

Aiden Gillan, who plays Mayor Carcetti in the later seasons, is Irish. I remember him from 'Queer as Folk'.

andylaw79

Über Member
I'll probably watch one or two episodes and then, like all American drama series I start to watch, will miss a few, never be able to catch up with the plot and not watch again. Same with 24, The Sopranos, West Wing etc etc.

mr Mag00

rising member
it is excellent! watched them all on DVD.

3 episodes a night for a couple of weeks beats most tv hands down. wasnt simon something to do with generation kill, based in I-raq

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
abchandler said:
BBC2 11.20
Thanks - in that case I might watch it. I only receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and CH4 and I thought that it might be on one of the many other channels.

Melvil

Tell me why it has to be on so late?

11:20 really is a wee bit much - 10:30, aye, OK, but 11:20? It's typical BBC, they buy an excellent programme and then tear the arse out of it by pushing it to late-o-clock on a schoolnight.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Melvil said:

11:20 really is a wee bit much - 10:30, aye, OK, but 11:20? It's typical BBC, they buy an excellent programme and then tear the arse out of it by pushing it to late-o-clock on a schoolnight.
That's what video-recording technology is for! I have a hard disk TV recorder and I watch almost everything through that so I can pause my viewing if I want to. Also I can skip through ads, and in the case of recordings of live cycle racing - any long flat boring bits.

I keep a stock of programmes to watch when there isn't anything good on. I currently have four films, the History of Scotland series, Yellowstone, a couple of Horizons etc.

You'll never hear me say "There's nothing good on TV tonight!" That's because you'll never be in my house, but even if you were you wouldn't hear me say it! :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Melvil said:

Possibly because of the constant use of the F word and maybe more so, the dreaded N word

Top Bottom