TheDoctor does Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I did it!

We stayed at Sault, which is at the start of the easiest route up Mont Ventoux. The route from here to Chalet Reynard gains about 1000m in 20 km, so it's broadly speaking a 5% or 1:20 gradient. The road mostly climbs through farmland, lavender fields and then forest. Very little in the way of traffic - I was probably passed by a few dozen cars tops, and all with the kind of consideration that's so common in France and so very rare over here. I was stopping every couple of k for a drink or something to eat - I was looking to finish the climb comfortably, rather that to achieve any particular time. Even in early May it was really quite warm.
Getting to Chalet Reynard took almost exactly two hours. Stopped there to fill water bottles and top up with caffiene and sugar. Coffee and Coke is an unholy combination.:biggrin:

The top 6k loomed like a giant looming thing, and any happy memories of gear-other-than-bottom vanished. This was tough. This was relentless. Hot, airless, desolate - a horrible, awful place. No shade, no flat sections, it just went on and on, up and up, getting hotter and steeper all the while. It took about an hour. That hour lasted a lifetime. And the final hairpin is the worst. The picture where I'm sprinting for the top - check out the gaps under the windows of the building on the right. That's stupidly, insanely, cruelly steep.:thumbsup:
The 26 km of downhill made up for it all though!:biggrin::tongue:

And some photos :-

[Photos removed after some time, to retain allure of anonimity]

Congratulations Doc, that's a fine achievment and I love the pics, you're grin says it all - Well done that man (bike's looking good too).

Landslide

Rare Migrant
TheDoctor said:
The 26 km of downhill made up for it all though!:thumbsup::tongue:

Ya lucky beggar! When I did Ventoux, a storm came over and chucked it down just as I was about to whizz down through all those fun looking bends in the section through the woods!

Well done, you look like you enjoyed it!

GrahamG

Guru
What is the bike? Looks nice and understated and with minimal logos, which I like, but which means I'm struggling to identify it :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done Doc!
I failed from Bedoin... just blew-up in the heat shortly before Chalet Reynard.
Isn't it amazingly relentless though and steeper than you ever imagine?
And the descent is just magnificent, what kind of speed did you make down?

I'm very envious... I'm going back sometime on a cooler day to have the giant bastard!

Again, well done, it's a damn fine benchmatrk to compare your "prowess"!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well done!

Did you enjoy the climb up back into Sault village at the end? I found after hanging around at the top and then a 25km freewheeling downhill, that the climb up through the village back to the campsite was an unnecessary extra I could have done without.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Awesome - the pics talk for themselves - talk about a beaming smile !!!

I so want to do the climbs one day..........

Should have taken those flipping lights off the back - all that extra weight on that carbon frame....tisk... (two tops as well....)

That is a long time suffering !!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done Doc. I'm there on June 19th for my attempt from Bedoin. I'm not sure if your description has inspired me or daunted me!
Great achievement anyway.

Top Bottom