Theoretical scenario, who's at fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ys123

Regular
If I'm cycling on a main road and a car a bit in front of me stops to let a driver turn in from a side road and I don't stop, am I wrong or does the car turning in to the main road have to check for cyclists before turning even when a car has stopped to let him/her through?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Single lane in your direction? No cycle lane?

Firestorm

Veteran
I believe that legally the car driver should not cross the road until he is sure the way is clear.
However if you are aware of a car stopping in front of you I would have thought that it was not sensible to pass it if you dont really know why its stopped, and if you know it has stopped to let someone cross the roadway why would you progress ?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It could be me, but I'm not entirely clear on your post - do you mean if you (theoretically) overtake the car that has slowed down and then come into conflict with the car that is pulling out of the side road onto the main road?

It's down to the vehicle entering the main road to ensure that the way is clear, despite any signals, etc from anyone else (ie flashing them out).

However, Rule 167 in the Highway Code also states that you shouldn't overtake at a road junction:
Rule 167.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Once the car in front has stopped and the second driver is committed to the manoeuvre you'd be I'll advised to try and press on regardless. The law can't account for every eventuality, but the convention is that once someone has begun manoeuvring you should allow them to continue.

OP
OP
Y

Ys123

Regular
I believe that legally the car driver should not cross the road until he is sure the way is clear.
However if you are aware of a car stopping in front of you I would have thought that it was not sensible to pass it if you dont really know why its stopped, and if you know it has stopped to let someone cross the roadway why would you progress ?

In traffic where there is alot of stopping its not always easy to see why a car has stopped.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In traffic where there is alot of stopping its not always easy to see why a car has stopped.
But you can see it is probably a junction so proceed very cautiously. It would be the joining driver's fault but who cares when you're splatted onto the road?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The
If I'm cycling on a main road and a car a bit in front of me stops to let a driver turn in from a side road and I don't stop, am I wrong or does the car turning in to the main road have to check for cyclists before turning even when a car has stopped to let him/her through?

Theorectically no one is at fault , as theoretically no collision has taken place.

PK99

Legendary Member
But you can see it is probably a junction so proceed very cautiously. It would be the joining driver's fault but who cares when you're splatted onto the road?

My smidsy was very much like this, I was passing up the inside of a queue at a level crossing, someone in the queue ahead did a 3 point turn and then across the box junction I was crossing.

His insurance company paid out without a quibble, the magistrate dismissed the without due care charge.

alicat

Legendary Member
You have to be able to stop in the space you can see clear. You also have a duty to try to avoid collisions.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I wondered about this theoretical incident on Saturday when it happened to me in reality.
As MJR says, it's the in-turning drivers responsibility to ensure the lane he/she is crossing is clear, but there's no upside to quoting right of way if you're already dead because the law is on your side.
Glad I kept my brakes in good nick on Saturday. I even locked up the rear wheel through braking that hard...on a friggin tourer.

Top Bottom