There is light at the end of the tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well , who would have thought , after posting this
Rewind to five years ago,i visited my gp (first time for 6 yrs).
with pain in my hip, i described to her as like having tooth ache in my hip, quick examination and sent away with being told to take pain killers ,nothing seriously wrong she said.
A few weaks later i pay har another visit telling her that ive fell a couple of times due to numbness in my right leg , again shes not really interested,
Time for a change of gp , first time i see him , emergency referall for mri scan,which i had within a week , two herniated discs between , L3,L4 L5, , masses of extra bone growth (osteophites) and nerve root compromise,told me i have a degenerative disease and have since been told surgery is not an option .
Ive since had physio , tens, accupuncture, traction , 6 facet joint injections, 3 epidurals,
an mri scan annually, just so they can tell me how much worse its got (as if i dont know)

im currently taking a shed full of various tablets every day,

@Tcr4x4 , one thing that really helps me is the duragesic patches that i change every 72 hrs , the active drug being FENTANYL, but do read up on it before you consider asking your pain management doc about it . (google fentanyl before you consider it , and you will see what i mean) put simply , without it i would be f$ck*d,

As far as cycling goes, ive given up the road bike , just too uncomfortable, i know ride just my mountain bike (no mountains involved) canal tow paths, fire trails etc, and saving up for a recumbent trike:hyper:

good luck

RR

I have seen another spinal surgeon at royal liverpool hospital , had an mri scan 2 weeks ago and have an appointmant with him on monday afternoon to discuss surgical intervention, WAAHHEEYYY, FINALLY THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
All the best rr... let us know how you get on next week.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
well , who would have thought , after posting this
Rewind to five years ago,i visited my gp (first time for 6 yrs).
with pain in my hip, i described to her as like having tooth ache in my hip, quick examination and sent away with being told to take pain killers ,nothing seriously wrong she said.
A few weaks later i pay har another visit telling her that ive fell a couple of times due to numbness in my right leg , again shes not really interested,
Time for a change of gp , first time i see him , emergency referall for mri scan,which i had within a week , two herniated discs between , L3,L4 L5, , masses of extra bone growth (osteophites) and nerve root compromise,told me i have a degenerative disease and have since been told surgery is not an option .
Ive since had physio , tens, accupuncture, traction , 6 facet joint injections, 3 epidurals,
an mri scan annually, just so they can tell me how much worse its got (as if i dont know)

im currently taking a shed full of various tablets every day,

@Tcr4x4 , one thing that really helps me is the duragesic patches that i change every 72 hrs , the active drug being FENTANYL, but do read up on it before you consider asking your pain management doc about it . (google fentanyl before you consider it , and you will see what i mean) put simply , without it i would be f$ck*d,

As far as cycling goes, ive given up the road bike , just too uncomfortable, i know ride just my mountain bike (no mountains involved) canal tow paths, fire trails etc, and saving up for a recumbent trike:hyper:

good luck

RR

I have seen another spinal surgeon at royal liverpool hospital , had an mri scan 2 weeks ago and have an appointmant with him on monday afternoon to discuss surgical intervention, WAAHHEEYYY, FINALLY THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
Good luck, and please be prepared for the withdrawal from Fentanyl, a drug I've become very familiar with over the past year, and had to 'get off' of 3 times now. Takes a month for the symptoms to clear, but worth it for the relief it gives, I think...

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Good luck roadrash. Make sure you check out the surgeon's experience with that type of surgery when you are deciding whether to go ahead.

Thanks, ive already done that, apparently hes a leader in the field of spinal surgery
http://www.thewaltoncentre.nhs.uk/Consultant/88/Mr-Martin-John-Wilby.html

Good luck, and please be prepared for the withdrawal from Fentanyl, a drug I've become very familiar with over the past year, and had to 'get off' of 3 times now. Takes a month for the symptoms to clear, but worth it for the relief it gives, I think...

yeah , thats something im not looking forward to
and THANK YOU all for your advice and good wishes ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
update after yesterdays appointment , i will be going for a scan on monday to check if the bone in my vertabrae are dense enough to take the screws, if so , some time in the near future i will be having a double laminectomy.... two discs removed and a titanium cage made up of four rods and associated hardware bolted above and below the damaged vertabrae, six to nine months recovery time, if however my bone isnt dense enough to support this then in laymans terms... im fooked, ah well onwards and upwards:thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
update after yesterdays appointment , i will be going for a scan on monday to check if the bone in my vertabrae are dense enough to take the screws, if so , some time in the near future i will be having a double laminectomy.... two discs removed and a titanium cage made up of four rods and associated hardware bolted above and below the damaged vertabrae, six to nine months recovery time, if however my bone isnt dense enough to support this then in laymans terms... im fooked, ah well onwards and upwards:thumbsup:

All the best. I hope it all goes well for, you

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Wow. The stuff they can do nowadays. Good luck RR

Top Bottom