There still is humanity ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2 weeks of lovely dry weather, last night out in Cambridge for a curry with the lads from work.

9 pm, I am off and cycle home, and it starts raining....

Half way, 9 miles left, bloody puncture, so a roll to a stop where there is tarmac and make a start.

Next thing, lady in a Ford Focus pulls up and offers to put the bike in the car and take me all the way home ! Not only that she had seen me from the opposite side of the carriageway and had gone to the roundabout and turned round !

I was deeply touched by the generosity, but I declined her offer kindly as i was almost finished, but I think if I had not had the thing done I think I would have taken the generous offer.

Then when she left, a guy was out cycling for the evening, and pulled up to make sure I was okay, we had a little chat and then he went his way.

So if both these people ever read this, then thanks to you both, you have shown me that there is still kindness in this world and its not just full of bad people.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it makes life just that little bit better.....

Joe

Über Member
I love it when things like this happen!
I had a hatchback full of teenagers pull up alongside me at the lights last year. I was expecting some abuse as they wound the window down but the passenger handed me a sealed bottle of lucozade!:biggrin:
I was completely dead but almost home so I declined it. Wish I'd got more of a thankyou in but I was at that point where conversation was too much effortxx(

You don't get this in London but generally im more concerned about staying in one piece.I remember having a p*nct*r* at Stratford years back and a ped advised me to get a car.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's lovely isn't it? I had a chap stop for me on Thursday night, nice guy. Some dude on a recumbent just rode right past me though. LOL!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
It's lovely isn't it? I had a chap stop for me on Thursday night, nice guy. Some dude on a recumbent just rode right past me though. LOL!

Really? You would have thought fellow bents would have stopped to have a lil chat with another one of their kind :tongue:
Their really isn't many of you in london.

andyfromotley

gaz said:
Really? You would have thought fellow bents would have stopped to have a lil chat with another one of their kind :tongue:
Their really isn't many of you in london.

Oh i'm betting the 'bent world' is a seething mass of resentment jealousy and dastardly plots!

Bongo Bill

I was cycling to work during the recent snow and having a hard time of it. Lots of compressed snow on the road making it pretty icey. A huge fancy coach stopped and offered me a lift. The lady driver put my bike in the luggage compartment and I rode in luxury for the last few miles. Very very nice of her indeed.

One ironic thing though - she had to stop every few hundred yards to pick up children to take them onto school that day as there were no real public transport. She made a point of greeting each child with a cheery hello or good morning. Hardly any of them acknowleged her or even replied.

bad boy

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
You don't get this in London but generally im more concerned about staying in one piece.I remember having a p*nct*r* at Stratford years back and a ped advised me to get a car.

Blimey no joke but if you ever get a p*nct*r* in Stratford forget repairing it by the road you need to keep moving otherwise your in trouble.

JamesAC

bad boy said:
Blimey no joke but if you ever get a p*nct*r* in Stratford forget repairing it by the road you need to keep moving otherwise your in trouble.
I live, and cycle, near Stratford. I've never experienced any trouble - what's happened to you?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
kevin_cambs_uk said:
Next thing, lady in a Ford Focus pulls up and offers to put the bike in the car and take me all the way home ! Not only that she had seen me from the opposite side of the carriageway and had gone to the roundabout and turned round !

did she tell you she had sweets in the car and some puppies at home?;) STALKER!!!!

Only kidding, its really good when others stop to help, or even just to chat (i have stopped myself in ladywell to offer a little "torch holding" to a chap with a puncture and he was very grateful, possibly more for the company than the shaky torch).

Generally on a commute I guess everyone is too focused on getting to work to share pleasantries but on tours I can imagine that this type of interaction is what makes it all so much fun.

Top Bottom