There's a hole in my wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnW71

Hi all, I just swapped my indoor trainer tyre back to the road tyre and after inflating it popped. I assumed I'd pinched it so fitted a new tube, but same again, and then again. Finally found a new (I assume) hole in my wheel above one of the spokes, which caused all the punctures. All the other spoke holes are covered and feel solid so I'm assuming this is not meant to be like this. The wheel also seems to have no rim tape, unless I'm not understanding how these things work (I know nothing about wheels obviously).

So is there a way to resolve this or is it actually a fault with the wheel? I'm wondering if I only need to add rim tape, or maybe a trimmed tyre boot patch would be safe?

Attachments

• IMG_3114.JPG
    IMG_3114.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 9

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Add some decent rim tape. The tube's been expanding into that hole, which wears over time.

si_c

Guru
That looks like the rim tape has deformed into the spoke hole and then burst, you should be able to peel the whole lot off and either put new tubeless tape on or if you plan to keep using tubes then some proper rim tape like Velox cloth tape.

Jody

Stubborn git
The wheel also seems to have no rim tape, unless I'm not understanding how these things work (I know nothing about wheels obviously).

Your rims are taped up ready to set up tubeless. I could be wrong but it looks like the tape has been nicked slightly with a tyre lever or something, looking at the mark above it to the right. It might just have been caught and the pressure has ripped the tape around the hole.

OP
OP
JohnW71

JohnW71

Your rims are taped up ready to set up tubeless. I could be wrong but it looks like the tape has been nicked slightly with a tyre lever or something, looking at the mark above it to the right. It might just have been caught and the pressure has ripped the tape around the hole.

More than likely yes, both the road & the trainer tyres were sheer hell to get on and off. I'm better at it now but there are a few marks on the rim/tape that are bound to be my fault. I'll try the LBS for tape later today but if no luck I'll do some DIY patching to keep me going.

Thanks all for the advice :smile:

Top Bottom