There's a Queen Wasp in the loft what am I gonna do ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
- there's a Queen Wasp in the loft what am I gonna do ? sing along

I went to get the garden cushions from the loft this morning only to be confronted by a queen wasp the size of a small moped - so I bravely ran away

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Photos please :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Petrol. Flamethrower. What's the worst that could happen? ;)

This? (...)
Wielding a flammable aerosol can, he sprayed the spider as it cowered behind the toilet pan - then lit a cigarette lighter to see if he had killed it.

However, the flame ignited the gas and caused a massive explosion which blew the man off his feet and lifted the loft door off its hinges, causing severe burns.

jnb

Veteran
Options

1 - ignore it. You can live with a wasp nest in your loft, though you might not want to

2 - Look for a new nest being built. If it's small enough then wait until it's a cold morning so the wasp/s are in the nest and remove it by hand. That's not literally by hand but a jar or something over the nest and card behind it and you can rmove the entire thing.

or if the nest is too big and you really do need to remove it

3 - Wait until it's cold so most of the wasps will be in the nest and then spray from as safe a position as you can with a wasp nest destroyer, that's usually permethrin in a foam.

or, if you can't see the nest but think you know where it is then scatter permethrin powder (usually sold as ant powder) on any of the routes you can see wasps getting in. As the wasps go in they should take the permethrin into the nest for you.

Whatever you choose, the basic rules are;

If you don't need to do anything then don't, wasps are useful
If you do need to do anything do it when it's cold so the wasps are in the nest
If you do need to do anything do it early in the year so the nest is as small as possible

I generally check my loft for nascent nests about now and deal with them while they're gold ball sized and have perhaps a dozen or so wasps at most, or even just a queen and eggs. When I moved to this house there was a nest in the loft about half a metre wide! That I just dealt with as best as possible but I couldn't finally get rid of it until the following winter.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Get pest control in. Some queen's come back year after year and build on a nest that's already there. This happened at the teacher's centre opposite my mum's house. by the time they dealt with it, the nest filled 6 black bin liners.

that's not the sort of swarm you want to deal with!

plus honey bees are on the decline and wasps invade their nests!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Get pest control in. Some queen's come back year after year and build on a nest that's already there. This happened at the teacher's centre opposite my mum's house. by the time they dealt with it, the nest filled 6 black bin liners.

that's not the sort of swarm you want to deal with!

This one is more than six bin liners' worth.

Ste T.

Guru
We had one last year. The £50 it cost to get the local authority pest controller to deal with it was worth every penny. Being a professional standard clumsy oaf I would have put my foot through the ceiling whilst going into anaphylactic shock due to multiple stings.:sad:

We had one last year. The £50 it cost to get the local authority pest controller to deal with it was worth every penny. Being a professional standard clumsy oaf I would have put my foot through the ceiling whilst going into anaphylactic shock due to multiple stings.:sad:

£50 - you were stung!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Kill the buggers before the nest gets to any particular size. I wonder if you can get a wasp-trap like you can buy ant-traps - i.e. the wasps feed from the trap, take it back to the nest to feed the queen and grubs - and kill the nest in the process. That seems like a safe way to do it which also means you won't have to confront the stripey nuisances.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a nest in my garage last year, and the wasps were accessing it through a gap in the bricks/barge boards.

Treated with any powder dusted into the 'entrance' and also the spray foam. Worked a treat.

Top Bottom