there's a rat in the toilet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jugglingphil

(what am I going to do)

We came home the other evening, my wife called "there's something in the toilet". Expecting a floater, I was surprised to see a dead rat looking up at me. Fortunately it did disappear with a flush.

Where did it come from? Should I be worried and set some traps? Or someone said that as the water-table is so high at the moment it probably came up. Is this likely?

Milo

Guru
It came from the toilet.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
It almost certainly came from where it ended up going. At least it drowned rather than ended up running round your bathroom. It's not an unheard of event but also not that common unless either the local rat population is particularly high in the sewers in your area or the main sewers are running high and pushing out the resident rodents. Probably the latter if the local sewers are old and take both foul and rainwater.

Working at a council in the 80s, I once took a complaint from someone who was sitting on the pan when a rat made a break for it from the wc trap.

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

Thanks for replies.
The wife and kids aren't that keen to sit on the toilet at the moment, can't blame them with the thought of a little visitor! :smile:

A lot of people spend a lot of money to end up on the toilet rat-arsed. Be lucky!

Actually, mid - 1990s, I was working on the refurb. of a penthouse in Marble Arch. A rat had scaled 5 storeys within the soil pipe and started to set up home in the space under the bath, after chewing through the gaffer tape across the newly positioned outlets. A plumber's blowtorch is the ideal rat trap, and they run quickly...

colly

Re member eR
I didn't realise they melted when you heat them up:eek:
In the same way that I had no idea ants were so flammable until I examined them closely using a magnifying glass in very strong sunlight.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You can fit anti rodent traps to waste water pipes, usually fitted at or below ground level, it's like a one way flap.

Can be fitted by a reasonably competent DIY-er.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
You can fit anti rodent traps to waste water pipes, usually fitted at or below ground level, it's like a one way flap.

Can be fitted by a reasonably competent DIY-er.
make sure it's fitted the right way round though...........the "backlog" could be quite.....well, you don't need me to describe it....

Top Bottom