"They wee tyres are crap"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Left house at 8am, discovered flat back tyre in garage.

Took into house and just replaced the tube. Track pumped and off I go. At a snail’s pace as couldn’t be ersed. Left again at 8.30am. Didn’t really get into stride but wasn’t bothered as a nice morning. Made it up through Kirkliston and just onto A8, about 6km from work.

Another puncture.

Stopped, tyre off, tube off and swapped for next tube just for quickness. Back onto rim, tyre back on (they’re tight basas) only to discover my mini pump couldn’t get enough purchase on the valve cos my new wheels have such deep rims! Aargh! After about 10 mins of trying, decide it’s not gonna happen. Looked at the bus stop I was at, a-ha this is "Ratho Station". So off I toddle, over the footbridge into the houses. No sign of a station. Into a newsagent – “where’s the station?” and an old bloke says “aye there isn’t one ho ho ho! Not since the days of XXXXXXXX” Didn’t catch the last word as I had left. So back over the footbridge to the bus stop. Wait 5 mins for a bus. One arrives. The bus driver sees my bike and shakes his head. He must have seen the despondency on my face. He opens the door. “You’ll no get on any bus wi a bike noo pal, some wifey got her leg aw cut by one an it cost the bus company millions. Have you got a puncture?”. I say “yes. I’m ****ed. Need to get to Maybury”. He closes the door, then opens again and says “mon then”. So on I get. Takes me to Maybury and proceeds to tell me I should get a mountain bike, they wee tyres are crap. And “is it a trek?”. “No a specialized”. “aye they’re no bad tae” he says. This man is about 50 and 25stone. But his word is gospel as he's been kind to me. "ye shd get wan ae they repair kits". "yeeeeeeeaaaaaah". Anyway I give him a quid for letting me on. Then push the bike and jog round to the office from there. Last 2km.

Time for new tyres plus new tubes with extra long valves, if you can get them?! Anyone advise?

You got to smile:biggrin:

:biggrin:
Not one of the bus drivers from the bloodbus forum by the sounds of it, far too decent :biggrin:. (this was a generalisation but as it was a joke I am allowed, so there :biggrin:)

bonj2

always choose long valves, no reason not to really. IIRC the ones on crc are either 36mm or 60mm, i go for 60mm.

Could it be possible you've got a warped tyre?

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

What's a warped tyre?

I'm going to get new tyres anyway, these have lasted since January and I think are done now.

Cheers Alec and Bonj for valve advice.

bonj2

Tetedelacourse said:
What's a warped tyre?
As I've said before (possibly not to you though), without wanting to sound obvious - a tyre that's become warped. I had one once, and it just kept causing punctures, I suspect because the bead won't sit straight. My old rear MTB tyre was a 'floppy' one, not sure if it's classed as a folding tyre but was definitely a less rigid bead than my current one, and I think it probably happened through being bent this way and that when off the wheel. You can tell if it's gone like this by spinning the wheel, if it looks like it's horrendously out of true by looking at the tyre, but the rim's definitely true, then the likely explanation is a warped tyre.

Tetedelacourse said:
I'm going to get new tyres anyway, these have lasted since January and I think are done now.
Don't let superstition get the better of you, if you can't find anything physically wrong with them, there probably isn't. But if you think you'd be better off with new tyres anyway, or there is something physically wrong with them, then go for it.

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:

Nah, keep the tyres, you're doing a brilliant job of keeping the puncture fairies busy for the rest of us.:biggrin:

Hope the new tyres solve your problems.

I had a run of punctures a couple of years ago and tried a few different tyres before I finally realised the problem was some metal shavings trapped under the rim tape..

Cab

Good of the driver. Its a complete pain when you get a run of luck like that when you're trying to get to work!

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Yeah he was indeed a good bloke.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

No incidents whatsoever to speak of on way in this morning! Hooray! So which one of you was visited? I will guess Quickdraw (hope I'm wrong!).

There is no such thing as a 'warped tyre'.

Get valve extensions, allows you to use regular valves in your deep rims.

Ive got a couple spare if you want them. PM me.

bonj2

mickle said:
There is no such thing as a 'warped tyre'.

There isn't now, no - 'cos I binned it! ;)

although I don't see how you can say for definite that no-one else has got one. Just 'cos you've never had one. Probably don't get them quite so much on road bikes anyway.

Top Bottom