Things that make commuting unpleasant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

Being driven at by an oncoming car near the end of my commute home last night. I was cycling down a residential street with road humps. Most motorists (me included) - if the way is clear - drive down the centre of the road so as to straddle the hump in the middle of the road. That's what this guy did. The road is reasonably wide even with parked cars on both sides so it wasn't particularly problematic for me. However when he cleared the hump he swerved further over towards me. He passed so close that by lifting my arm I was able to thwack his side mirror. Quite hard. Although I feel bad about it now if I caused any damage. Made the palm of my hand smart for a little while.

Serves him right and I hope your hand is ok.
If he had been purely on his side of the road, as you were, then it wouldn't have happened would it? :whistle:

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Serves him right and I hope your hand is ok.
If he had been purely on his side of the road, as you were, then it wouldn't have happened would it? :whistle:

Hand is fine, thanks. And, no, there would have been no chance of me reaching his wing mirror if he maintained his line on his side of the road or even driving straight down the centre of the road.

If you can touch his car, he's too close. He was deliberately trying to bully you; you don't need to feel guilty about anything.

Cheers. That's my view too. I stick to my side of the road. If I can touch a passing car, they're too close. Mostly I don't mind too much - London commuting, it goes with the territory. But if you're coming towards me, on a clear road, with no obstacles, and you veer towards me, then I take this as a sign of aggression and I will react accordingly.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Too bloody right ! Pity the damn thing did not come off then they know not to try that trick again knowing it will cost dearly ! I had a tit pass me last year so close that his mirror folded in against my rucksack.I caught him up and finished the job by belting it into the side window and offering to rip it off properly if he ever did that again.After we got moving he treid to bully me by reving his engine so i stropped him again in the middle of the road to which point he thought better not piss me off anymore and went on his merry way much to the amuzment of the commuters in the bus shelter !!!!

shippers

Cheers. That's my view too. I stick to my side of the road. If I can touch a passing car, they're too close. Mostly I don't mind too much - London commuting, it goes with the territory. But if you're coming towards me, on a clear road, with no obstacles, and you veer towards me, then I take this as a sign of aggression and I will react accordingly.

Words can't express how glad I am I don't have to cycle through London!

photography27

being stuck behind one of them bendy buses going through Morriston, Swansea, the heat is tremendous coming out of the back!!!! its like opening an oven in your face!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cycling into a head wind

Makes a man of you...... good training, that's all.....it's life..........

Matthames

Über Member
being stuck behind one of them bendy buses going through Morriston, Swansea, the heat is tremendous coming out of the back!!!! its like opening an oven in your face!!!!

Which reminds me:

_39961185_bussmoke203.jpg

Bendy-buses withdrawn after fires

david w 1

In no particular order

• coming up to a long line of stationary traffic.
  • pot holes
  • cars
  • dog walkers (particularly on cycle paths)
  • cycyle paths
  • cars
  • cars
  • new road surfaces - gravel.........scary stuff.
  • cars
  • cars
  • broken glass on roads and paths
  • cars

Bush cuttings (never cleared away manually)
Rough roads/gravel
Surface water (specially on smooth sections)
Idiots that don't appreciate when I pull over to let them past (rural roads)
The idiot that has not thanked me once even after 7 times... and the 6th almost running me off on a corner
Sudden Sidewinds
99% dry, last 1% rain... grrr
People that insist on telling me my lights are on
Close passes when there is a huge straight road and great visibility
Overtaking into oncoming traffic
+the usual car pulling out/smidsy event

Top Bottom