1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you overhear...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 18 Jul 2007.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Two snippets recently overheard, one by a friend - a sad comment on education today and the second heard by my sister, just bizarre:

1. "Newts - that's what tadpoles are before they turn into frogs..."

2. "Well, tigers and lions and elephants are all very well, but you can't tag a frog..."

(I can't help wondering if they mean tag as in electronic tag, or as in graffitti, in which case I can see, it would be tricky - they are all slippy and the paint might just slide off)

2. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

The paint would come off anyway when they are being boiled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Wasn't Bonj, was it?

4. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Thunder and buggeration Mr Thief, you beat me to it!

5. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

the gf recently asked if penguins were fish.........

6. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I went out to dinner with a group of consultant psychiatrists, one of them was recently, but not that recently, arrived from Russia to take up a full time consultant post. She had been in post for about 2 months. While looking at the menu she asked "This salmon, is that chicken or beef?"

Your life in their hands :tongue:

7. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

Lady American tourist overheard saying the following as she alighted from a train at Waverley Station in Edinburgh:

"Gee, the castle's impressive but why did they have to build it so far from the station?"

8. OP
    OP
    Arch

Not a story I overheard myself, but an anecdote told among friends is the one about a group of American tourists being shown the Minster, and one woman asked "So, is this building pre-war?"

The guide turned to her and said, carefully and in a sonorous voice "Madam, this building is pre-America..."

9. JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

An American lady in a restaurant in Singapore asked what was for desert. The waiter said there was (among other things) litchis. "Gee," said the ex-colonial, "what kinda cheese is that?"

:tongue: :?:

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

I don't know whether I should post this or not.

Someone's wife (who may or not be mine) was watching the Big Brother live eviction last week. The family in question (which may or may not be mine) recently got a V+ box (like Sky+ but better) because a family member works for Virgin and it was cheap. The husband had spent some time explaining to the wife how it worked, that you could pause live tv, rewind, catch up etc.

An ad break came up during the show. She turned to her husband and asked how she could fast forward through the adverts.

11. OP
    OP
    Arch

Psst, James: 'Lychees' I think.

Mr Paul, I think the lady in question needs to get an additional box for that service. This one is blue, and has a flashing light on top and 'Police' written on it... :tongue:

12. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Overheard on a train some years ago... a black woman with a tiny wee baby, telling her friend she had called the baby Bianca, "cos it's Spanish for 'black'". Didn't have the heart to tell her it's Italian for 'white'. This was about 15yrs ago...presumably they'll have found out by now! :tongue: :?:

13. Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond

Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond New Member

A woman behind me on the escalator in John Lewis:

"Well you know what they say - red shoes, no knickers"

Has there ever been any research into this?

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

David Beckham-

We plan to have him Christened. We're just not sure into which religion yet.

15. spen666

spen666 Guru

I'll volunteer to be the researcher