Think about thinking about thinking about getting a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

I had 105 paddle change and it was much more positive than the bikes with the Soara changers which I tried.

You have to test ride the bikes to get a proper feel as if you can live with it and when I say 'properly' - and I mean 'properly'. I'm the opposite to you @5'10" being long in the body and short in the 30" leg which means a bigger frame, and a low seat height. I test rode about 10 bikes before I settled on the roadie I bought (which has since been nicked :sad:) and so I'm saving up once more for another nice one which I'll probably end up buying new again unless I can find an exact 2nd hand fit off one which I have managed to side in a shop.

The fit is everything at the end of the day, and riding a quality bike which has been tailored for you will make just a massive difference to your ride :smile:

Thanks everyone,

Vickster, I visited my local(ish) Pearsons today, and I don't think they are going to work for me. It was raining pretty heavily, so that took test riding off the table, so I just chatted to the salesman about my needs. He made a couple of suggestions of bikes and I was sort of interested, but then he got on to cyclefit, and wouldn't let it go. We eventually got to the point that I'd be foolish to do anything but start out spending £195 being measured (plus a day off work, and if I don't go there, I don't get paid - so that's even more expense). "And if I decide not to spend that money, do I just test ride a few different bikes?" "[shrug] I really think you should get it"

OK, so 2 1/2 hours is going to get me some pretty detailed assessment, but I thought getting a cycle that fits you pretty well is part of the premium that you pay for by going to an LBS. Maybe the Sutton branch is different as I think cyclefit is only in Sheen.

Decathlon is starting to look more and more appealing.

A cycle fit will usually get sizing perfect before you buy but a good lbs will size you up equally as good try another shop if you don't like the pressure. When I bought my Bianchi the lbs manager sized me up, a few years later I actually got a professional bike fit and found his original sizing was almost spot on.

Update - only getting to cycle shops on the weekends, so today took my first test ride. Just a short loop, but it was my first time ever on a road bike. Scary: first I had my hands on the tops, and couldn't work out how to brake: oh, yeah - hands on hoods. Looking over the shoulder was hard, I may have a little flexibility issue there as looking over the left was easier than the right. Time to move to France?

Anyway, I went into a local shop, described my current requirements (commuter, drop bars, room for mudguards and rack) and they had one bike that matched it: 2011 Scott S35, compact double with Tiagra shifters and 105 rear derailleur. Kind of liked it, but it's really hard to know if it's right. Mostly it felt weird.

Will see if I can test ride a few more tomorrow, and then maybe just bite the bullet.

thanks again for the support!

Well, it's not been a great year. 3 days after that last posting, life got in my way pretty badly and I am only now back to bike shopping. I thought I'd revive this thread rather than opening a new one.

So I test rode two bikes on the weekend, and I don't now how to decide what to buy. One was a Giant Avail 1 (fem form of Defy, and actually equivalent kit at same price) and the other was a Cannondale Synapse 6.

The Synapse was a "road test" bike, it was actually a 2009 model that had been through the wars. It was also a triple, while the model I am looking at is a double and it's a women's frame, but if I go Cannondale, I'll probably get the men's frame because I prefer the colour. I spent about 50 minutes on this, and enjoyed it well enough - now I have learnt to look over my right shoulder - but my gloveless hands were pretty achy by the end. They suggested that 105 hoods wood be more comfortable. The hoods were 09 Tiagras, so not quite the same as the current model, I guess. I also found braking from the hoods to be pretty hard work.

I only got to the Giant shop near closing time. The actual model I was looking at buying is the Avail 2 (also Tiagra) but rode the Avail 1 as it was the correct frame size. I was only on it for a few minutes, but enjoyed them. I like that the Avails come with brake levers on the top of the handlebar though it doesn't leave much room for stuff :-). One problem is that the rear cable bulged away from the frame at the seatpost and rubbed my (admittedly large) thighs. It was annoying during the test, but I can't tell if this will be a problem or not in the long term.

I really think the next thing I should do is just buy the goddamn thing! But I don't know which one. Between:
Avail 1, 105 components, £999, (shop floor model available) - they can swap the seatpost clamp to allow a rack to be fitted.
Avail 2, Tiagra, £799 (10 days wait) - rack mounts
Cannondale Synapse 6, Tiagra, £950 (48 hours)
Cannondale Synapse 5, 105, £1100 (48 hours)

I like both stores: Bicycle in Richmond for the Cannondales which came multiply recommended, and the Twickenham Giant store, which I just like the vibe of. Both include a fitting with purchase.

Or keep looking until September, and pick up a bargain :-)

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thanks. It took me a few seconds to parse that :-) One shop said the 105 were more hard wearing, so more economical in the long term. Current distance I do is between 8-9000km/year.

I think in general the advice is buy the best most comfortable frame. The parts can and will need to be changed as and when you need or a want to.

I have only ever ridden 105 so cannot really offer any advice on comfort or operation over and above Tiagra. The new 2012 105 Groupset 5700 suffix the Brake levers have a reach adjustment and can be set up for less pull for the same braking. Not sure if any of your options include a 5700 105 Group though.

I think the wearing aspect is a bit of salesman upgrade. Normally the main difference as you up the scale of groupsets is you get lighter equipment, maybe just maybe sharper operation but normally less wear due to the weight saving. Defintely going from 105 upwards you get mainly the weight saving and 105 is considered a good comprimse between light and durabilty.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have big hands and I find it extremely hard to change gear from the drops. I have tiagra shifters which have the 2nd leaver and I still find it hard.

Have you got the rubber spacers fitted that make the brake lever slightly depressed and bring the levers closer to the bars? I have small hands with these fitted and can manage to change gear from the drops. Having said that I struggle chainging up gears on the front mech as the travel required to change it up moving the whole brake lever tends to make me accidentally use the brake too as I seem to pull it slightly towards myself. Thats my only real niggle with Tiagra shifters, it would be better if the brake lever was not used to change gear. No problems at all on the hoods which is where I am most of the time anyway.

defy-one

Buy the defy 1 womens equivalent. I tried loads of bikes before riding the Giant. It's the best frame & ride by far if your want a relaxed comfortable ride.

Top Bottom