Think I looking for a "gravel" bike,. How much to pay? which all rounder / buy or mod second hand MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
I have recently borrowed a MTB (Carrera Venegance) since the gyms were closed, and want to buy my own bike. I seem to ride roads, and some rougher paths. A road bike there is not suitable on these paths, but a MTB is slow on the road. I also miss drop bars. What should I be looking for? I think it is a "gravel" type bike, Any recommendations, how much should i be paying for decent "budget" bike? or am I better to find a second hand MTB and mod wheels / handlebars etc?

figbat

Slippery scientist
It depends on your aptitude and attitude. I made myself a gravel bike out of an old MTB more to give me something to do - it turned out well and now I have a functioning gravel bike, but I wasn't specifically needing one.

You could probably adapt a road/touring bike more easily, depending on what you feel you need (eg disc brakes?).

Or you can pick up a dedicated gravel bike either new or second-hand. Decathlon's Triban range get some good reviews, Planet-X are always pushing out cheap frames and bikes - it also depends who is open and delivering.

From your description it looks like a gravel type bike would fit the bill, and since having made mine it has become my go-to, do-it-all bike.

OP
OP
J

jase_31

Regular
I quite mechanically minded, so dont mind a bit of a project. I never thought about going from converting a road bike to gravel, but it is something worth looking at. Ive found a guide at

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1CCH0LrVlo

Has anyone done this? If I go down this road looking like starting with a road bike, rather than MTB and using 28 -32 tyres.

My budget is flexible - as Im pretty new to this I dont want to spend too much, but enough to get something decent that I am not looking to change/upgrade straight away, my budget is therefore guided by recommendation here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jase_31

Regular
Or you can pick up a dedicated gravel bike either new or second-hand. Decathlon's Triban range get some good reviews, Planet-X are always pushing out cheap frames and bikes - it also depends who is open and delivering.
From your description it looks like a gravel type bike would fit the bill, and since having made mine it has become my go-to, do-it-all bike.

Decalthon Tribans are interesting. Im in no rush to buy, as I have a borowed bike at the moment. Any idea what gearing I should be looking at. For instance the Tribans start with a single chainring, and 7 speed cassette?

There are all kinds of names for these useful doitall style bikes: cyclo cross, cx, gravel, adventure, touring. They may differ in details such as gear ratios, tyre clearance, fittings for rack, mudguards and bottles.
Personally I think that any bike not used for racing should come with a useful set of threaded eyelet fittings, you don't have to use them but they turn a playbike into something much more useful and versatile. Rear disk fittings on the chainstay play well with luggage racks but seatstay disk fittings interfere.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take a look at Planet X bikes for their CX frames, or even Merlin Cycles - I spotted a bargain on their a few weeks back. Problem with many road bikes, even old ones, is the tyre clearance isn't great - both my road bikes will take 23mm tyres only.

You might also think of picking up a 90's MTB - rigid forks. Drop some slightly narrower tyres and you've got a good gravel bike. My 90's bike is running 2.4" tyres for comfort !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Something like this would do what you need (i have the 2014 Team as my main utility bike With 32mm tyres)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293501535139

That's a bargain.

Venod

Eh up
If converting a road bike, keep in mind tyre clearance, I prefer to use a CX frame for road/off road use plenty of tyre clearance and still lively handling.

Decalthon Tribans are interesting. Im in no rush to buy, as I have a borowed bike at the moment. Any idea what gearing I should be looking at. For instance the Tribans start with a single chainring, and 7 speed cassette?
That range has a great reputation, and I truly love Decathlon!
Gearing? Well, it's so personal - fitness and usage are everything. NORMALLY I say that single-chainrng is hugely limiting - but my 1x8 has been great for a flat commute with a few miles on dry bridleways (I'm happy to walk if I have to!). So it can be a bit suck-it-and-see.

(The big pro for something basic like 1x7 is the cheap running costs and reliability.)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Surly road bikes can sometimes be had. I made a road x crosser from one and it performs very well. With the right tyres and gearing, most road bikes can be labelled ”Gravel”.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A rigid 90s MTB with canti brakes would be a simple conversion. All you'd need to swap would be bars, brake levers, gear shifter(s) and tyres.

Or a road bike with clearance for 32mm+ tyres even easier (or go old school 27 x 1 1/4").

I'd not recommend 1x7 gearing if you want to take the bike off road up steep, possibly muddy hills, you'll run out of climbing gears if you've used a suitable chain ring for road riding even with a 11-28 freewheel/cassette. 9 speed 11-36 might work better, but still only if you like pushing a tough gear (I really don't, too lazy!).

Top Bottom