Think skull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i see they've overloaded their article with compelling scientific evidence and testing data to back up their claim. Are they also going to provide sweat wicking straps?

Wobblers

Euthermic
Is it just me or is something missing?

You know, the bit where they actually test those helmets to see how good a job they do at actually protecting one's head. I looked and looked, but they seem to have forgotten to put in the bit where they strapped those lids to a test dummy, simulated an impact and measured the acceleration forces. An oversight, I'm sure...

Come to think of it, isn't the bit at the top: "Advertising Feature by Wiggle" also missing?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Some helmet manufacturers even claim some models cool your head more effectively than riding without a helmet

yeah ok, and they're going to be in this price range are they.

just for the record 50kph is ~31mph, so utterly irrelevant for 99%+ of cycling full stop and 100% of people this patronising, misrepresentative advertising drivel is aimed at

Not wishing to start an argument but this bit about helmets only being effective up to 12mph, what's the fall-away form that? Does the protection become insignificant at 13mph or does it drop away gradually p to a much higher speed but still offer reasonable protection?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think it is more that the basic euro standard test is a 15kph (roughly 12 mph) impact than this being a limit on effectiveness.

I'm sure the manufacturers and plenty on here will tell you that despite this pitiful level of test you can be dropped from space onto your head and their helmet will keep you safe.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
incidentally I saw a guy on a motor scooter zipping along in 30mph+ traffic the other day wearing a cycling helmet.

a) cheapskate
b) stupid
c) suckered by this sort of advertising bo**@cks into thinking it gives motorcycle helmet level of protection.

I think it is more that the basic euro standard test is a 15kph (roughly 12 mph) impact than this being a limit on effectiveness.
But what I'm asking is what happens at say 12-15mph or 15-20mph. Is it like best before dates where it may say 11/4/14 but I'll eat it well beyond that date and its fine. Or does it literally cease to be effective (to be clear INeffetive as opposed to less effective) anything above 12mph?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yes I get that, dunno TBH, i leave the studying helmet studies to others. You might get a better steer if you check out the higher level Snell testing to see if it answers the question but I suspect for a definitive grading of effect you'll have to buy a job lot of helmets and keep crashing at different speeds & assessing your level of injury as you go.

Not wishing to start an argument but this bit about helmets only being effective up to 12mph, what's the fall-away form that? Does the protection become insignificant at 13mph or does it drop away gradually p to a much higher speed but still offer reasonable protection?

The problem is that helmets are PPE when it suits and not PPE when it doesn't

Take a building site.... the PPE ise designed to fulfil a function, and the use will remain within that function.

If you use PPE for something that it is not intended for, or outside it's design parameters than you are out of order

The questin is really ... should the see cyclists not be following standard HSE pratice and not cycling above the 12 mph that helmets are tested and "proven" to function at?

Tim Hall

The problem is that helmets are PPE when it suits and not PPE when it doesn't

Take a building site.... the PPE ise designed to fulfil a function, and the use will remain within that function.

If you use PPE for something that it is not intended for, or outside it's design parameters than you are out of order

The questin is really ... should the see cyclists not be following standard HSE pratice and not cycling above the 12 mph that helmets are tested and "proven" to function at?

The Royal Mail, whilst stating that Posties should were cycle helmets, concede that they're not PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom