Think UK roads are bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here's a highway in Lagos that's being rebuilt in reinforced concrete to resist flooding. The problem is that nobody has read the memo about it being one-way so you have to drive down the middle and pray. The informal bus stops are especially exciting....

IMG-20191205-WA0000.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Reminds me of Cairo, maybe not so bad but..the most Insane place for driving I've ever been. If theres two lanes, cars are three abreast, if theres three lanes, cars are four abreast...as many as can fit in the space. Smoke belching old lorries, minibuses, people, peds, bikes, tuk tuks all weaving in and out of the most unlikely places. Honk honk, honk honk, toot honk, toot toot, and so on, endless noise, fumes, noise, headache....:ohmy: :laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cairo is a hell hole. The worst place I have ever been. Closely followed by Nairobi and Libya.
The driving in the Middle East is also appalling. Driving at night without headlights is somehow acceptable.
Russia isn’t very nice either.
In fact UK driving and roads are probably in the top 10% of the world.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
True but that, er, "Middle-Eastern" style is beginning to creep in.

I did once get sent to meet a customer in Alexandria, which meant flying into Cairo. I stayed at the airport Novotel so that I wouldn't have to get stuck in the traffic; the drive up to Alexandria was on the dirtiest roads I've ever seen. Worse even than Nigeria where at least you do see people sweeping up the sand that collects and removing litter.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

Lozz360

Veteran
They drive on the right in Nigeria. Therefore, it is the cars driving towards the camera that are flouting rules? Unless of course, it really is one way.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
They drive on the right in Nigeria. Therefore, it is the cars driving towards the camera that are flouting rules? Unless of course, it really is one way.

Yes they do but the road is under repair and half is out of use so it's considered normal to use one side for both directions. This works fine in a cooperative sort of manner until the weeks approaching Christmas when Police officers and traffic wardens (Yellow Fever) begin thinking about the cost of buying gifts for all their extended families and motorist traps will be set up as a cash-earning wheeze.

I'm sure our local @Cycleops is familiar with this kind of wahalla!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, the poor roads here provide all sorts of opportunities for cash strapped individuals. Favourite is self employed road mender. You equip yourself with a bucket full of concrete pieces and dirt plus spade, then select a pot holed intersection and beg passing motorists to contribute to your public spirited endeavour to make things better for them.

Reactions: gbb

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Yes, the poor roads here provide all sorts of opportunities for cash strapped individuals. Favourite is self employed road mender. You equip yourself with a bucket full of concrete pieces and dirt plus spade, then select a pot holed intersection and beg passing motorists to contribute to your public spirited endeavour to make things better for them.

Had you mentioned 10 monthly payments - I would have thought Caerphilly CBC :whistle:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
At least the Nigerians are repairing their roads.
I've reported this pothole four times, in as many months, and still nothing has been done about it.

Mount Pleasant Airport to Stanley, Falkland Islands.
Gravel, cattle grids, minefields and huge ditches - Forces legend has it that the annual rainfall figures were taken as monthly by the engineers building the road, hence the extra depth (making them extremely dangerous should you lose grip on the road)!
View attachment 495481
Image credit: BR0WSER@Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/br0wser/178689978

There's even a video of the drive here!

Eh, that's nothing compared to the A1101 from Littleport to Wisbech... The ditches are bigger, deeper and full of stinky water. OK, at least there are no landmines... :whistle:

Top Bottom