Think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

ANYONE seen that advert whereby the motorcyclist is repeatedly given sign by people on the road...

..wonder what a cyclist version would go like...

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
ANYONE seen that advert whereby the motorcyclist is repeatedly given sign by people on the road...

..wonder what a cyclist version would go like...

Much the same stuff I imagine! At least in rural settings. I saw that last night for the first time, thought it was very good. Just enough humour, not so dry as to be easily ignored.

I suppose for a cyclist the issues are often more urban - so it would be a more urban setting, and the hazards would include peds about to step out, kids mucking about outside a school, potential left hookers behind, close overtakers..

Maz

Guru
As a kid, I remember the old advert with the tag line "Think once, think twice, Think Bike!" whereupon the fella doing the ad brought his hand down karate-chop style onto a tabletop or suchlike.

I always used to join in with the karate chop at the end of the ad.

Must be on Youtube somewhere...

domtyler

Über Member
There was also a really old geezer on a creaky old bike to show you how to signal. What happened to him?

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
There was also a really old geezer on a creaky old bike to show you how to signal. What happened to him?
Was it an animated film with an old bloke in tweeds? That's the one I remember. Started off with "Meet Mr.X, the oldest cyclist in the country...bla bla bla (turns right on his bike)...Well done Mr.X!".

The cyclists signs would be stuff like:

At the next junction the silver car will totally ignorr your presence and turn across the road.

The passenger in the transit van behind you is about to punch you in the back of the head as they go past.

The bunch of schoolkids on the corner will chuck water at you.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
The cyclists signs would be stuff like:

At the next junction the silver car will totally ignorr your presence and turn across the road.

The passenger in the transit van behind you is about to punch you in the back of the head as they go past.

The bunch of schoolkids on the corner will chuck water at you.

..yes this is exactly as Id expect it to be like not like the formal and respecting, to the motorcyclist, advert !

Additionally:

..people who walk across the road and do the funky chicken in the road upon realising (at the last min.) that you are there...

Passenger/Driver opens door on you...

Car driver passes you like you dont exist...(you bless your life)

Upon waiting to turn right at a junc. cars also turning right pass you on the left and drive across the right of way...

Bus pulls aways from a stop when your passing it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
..yes this is exactly as Id expect it to be like not like the formal and respecting, to the motorcyclist, advert !

I seem to remember that a couple of the signs in that ad said stuff like "whoa tiger, slow down!" and "That corner's sharper than you think!". so it did address to some extent the tendency of some bikers to take chances - not all respectful and formal.

The door opening one would be good. The advantage would be that some motorists might get the message that they need to take more care as well, if they were aware of the sort of hazards we have to worry about...

Top Bottom