Thinking of a new MTB but just can't get excited about current bikes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Someone recently had a go on my full-sus to feel what wide handlebars felt like - they then went out and bought some to replace their narrow ones

A change of bars has also crossed my mind, especially as the rest of the bike seems to suit me so well. Still can't get rid of the feeling that I am just patching up an old (compromised?) machine and in reality could be missing out on a revelation in the handling department.

Maybe I need to try and sort some test rides to see for sure?

Sallar55

Veteran
Cannondale fan here, Carbon lefty, Rush, a few headshok ones. Wish list, Waiting for a 29er headshok if they ever make one. Easy to maintain, I may change the oil in the cartridge of my 2015 lefty as it has never been in for a fork service. The others have a rubber boot to keep out all the crap from the suspension. You can buy the tools to fix and seal kits are still on E Bay. Other half has a 2002 F 700 and it's still going well, just a matter of knowing what size of seals for the air suspension and the grade of suspension oil.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
A change of bars has also crossed my mind, especially as the rest of the bike seems to suit me so well. Still can't get rid of the feeling that I am just patching up an old (compromised?) machine and in reality could be missing out on a revelation in the handling department.

Go to Leisure Lakes and have a look at the XC cannondales. Make it preston and I'll meet you there to advise.

I bought the same bike in 1997 (from the now sadly closed Reg Braddick's in Cardiff) and it came with an LX groupset including V-brakes which were much better than cantis. Over the next few years I changed the entire groupset to M739 XT which turned it into a great bike. As well as serving me well offroad until I bought a full-sus, it was my regular commuter for 12 years and never let me down.

Nice to hear that. I swapped 7 speed to 10 speed XT and Alivio canti brakes for Avid Juicy's, better but not great. Do you know if a V-brake upgrade is doable? I have heard of a disc upgrade, but sounds pricey.
Got some nice shimano saint pedals on now to finish things off ... its such a great bike ^_^

20210726_141907.jpg

dan_bo

Nice to hear that. I swapped 7 speed to 10 speed XT and Alivio canti brakes for Avid Juicy's, better but not great. Do you know if a V-brake upgrade is doable? I have heard of a disc upgrade, but sounds pricey.
Got some nice shimano saint pedals on now to finish things off ... its such a great bike ^_^

View attachment 650284

Cool sled. Really.

dan_bo

OMG look at that Sudario pic :eek:

Who on earth wants their bike to look like Pat Butcher's curtains ? :laugh:

It's fkin awesome that's what it is.

Jody

Stubborn git
Still can't get rid of the feeling that I am just patching up an old (compromised?) machine and in reality could be missing out on a revelation in the handling department.

This ^

Coupled with Figbats post which sums it up as I would have.

New gen bikes may feel a little weird when you first get out on them but aren't comparable with 90's tech.

Last edited:
2, I'm not sure self build is as easy as it was 3-4 years ago before the current supply issues kicked in? Availability and prices seem to have suffered seismic shifts so my go-to spec of Shimano XT and components of similar standards might be hard to achieve?

Custom isn't always self, is there a LBS you could use to build it for you?

My Genesis was rebuilt and serviced about 6 months ago in a LBS I trust, the job inc parts delivery was 2-3 weeks though I wasn't specifying exact brands just that I wanted a new drivetrain 'of the same quality/ratios as the one it's replacing'. I understand though if you have a preferred type of part that option may not be for you:okay:

Edit:

I'll be honest patching up worry has crossed my mind as well, that bike of mine isn't as old as yours but is running on the original wheelset, frame and forks. Everything else has been replaced at some point.

But it's really comfortable for me and apart from a misguided attempt at 1x10 a few years back I've always been happy with it.^_^ I've browsed for a new bike but never really come close to getting one.

Last edited:
However, the niggle that maybe I am missing something won't go away. Could a modern bike' actually be better handling and give more enjoyment?

Better handling as technology would have improved after 26 years. There will be folks that will tell you that you are doing well and ahead of your group and why change etc.

It going to be your your call. Pointless keeping the money that you can't take with you when you head to the exit. Might as well enjoy a better experience.

Let face it. You can travel the world with a 26 year old bike and you can travel the world with a better bike and guess which bike is likely to make that journey better.

Top Bottom