Thinking of buying a Boardman Bike, such a good idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brad

Brad

I feel fairly competent in undertaking some of the adjustments that may need doing myself, but will get the local shop to give it the once over just to make sure! Like was said before, it seems really good value and an opportunity not to be missed.

Pauluk

We have two Halfords outlets here in Leicester. When I took my Carrera back to the Abby Lane branch for their second of 3 attempts to get it right they removed a Boardman from the repair stand to put my bike on. On removing the Boardman they dropped it on the floor with quite a crash (looked like a brand new bike being made ready for a now unsuspecting customer). I wouldn't use this branch again except for parts and spares and even then I wouldn't ask for advice.

The other branch at Putney Road is another matter. The guys there are very good. One of them is a very keen cycling enthusiast and knows bikes. He's always helpful and thorough and seems to be a very competent bike mechanic.

So I'm afraid Halfords are very variable and seem to like keeping up some pretense on what their capabilities are.

Most of their products are good though.

OP
OP
Brad

Brad

It seems like they have upped there price on the team bike from 799 - 899 today as well although I'm sure they fluctuate all the time. I haven't been into my local halfords store recently so next time I'm home from uni I will go and have a chat with them.

Not wishing to jump on the bandwagon but can't help but echo most of the sentiment here. I had a Team Carbon 2010 for nearly 2 years. A great bike but seen some scary stuff from fairly clueless Halfords mechanics, including bashing away at my loose headset with a hammer!!!!. But if you're paying minimum wage you're not going to attract the best (Lee at Westcliff store an exception to the rule).

So to sum up. Good bikes but get checked over and service elsewhere.

OP
OP
Brad

Brad

Not wishing to jump on the bandwagon but can't help but echo most of the sentiment here. I had a Team Carbon 2010 for nearly 2 years. A great bike but seen some scary stuff from fairly clueless Halfords mechanics, including bashing away at my loose headset with a hammer!!!!. But if you're paying minimum wage you're not going to attract the best (Lee at Westcliff store an exception to the rule).

So to sum up. Good bikes but get checked over and service elsewhere.

The general feeling is that it holey depends on the store itself. Seems to be that I will purchase the bike from Halfords and get it serviced at a LBS just to be on the safe side.

rollinstok

It seems like they have upped there price on the team bike from 799 - 899 today as well although I'm sure they fluctuate all the time. I haven't been into my local halfords store recently so next time I'm home from uni I will go and have a chat with them.

If you dont get any joy instore, ask for the area manager's number and speak to them
The Boardman bikes are great value but the shop staff are not always up to a decent standard

Top Bottom