thinking of buying a dynamo hub + IQ Fly light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

careta

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a dynamo hub for a headlight, but I don't know anything about those. A bit of research turned out that the Shimano DH-3N80 is a good dynamo hub for its price (and I really can't spend more). But will this hub fit my 20" wheel (meaning: are these hubs standard for all sizes)?

Also I'm thinking of getting a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Fly senso plus to go with it. What are your opinions on this light? Is it worth the extra money over the version without light sensitivity?

Thanks for all the help.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They are only available in 32 or 36 holes, so you'd have find a matching rim.
They are a relatively large diameter, so in a small wheel you would be best building build 1 cross so the spokes don't meet the rim too far off square.
They are a standard 100mm width, and won't fit in folders that take a narrow front wheel (eg Brompton).

The B+M Cyo is brighter than the IQ Fly, but costs more.
I like the Senso setting on my (Schmidt) light. I don't have to consider how dark it is, I just ride. It doesn't have to be very dark to come on - riding under trees will do it on a sunny day, and in winter it's sometimes on all day. It's best if you've got a rear light wired in to it, so you don't have to stop turn the back light on.

Top Bottom