Third bike. Sensible for the future or fun for now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you. I remain really impressed by your building a "just right" bike. I'd love to do that one day. I don't think my skills are there quite yet though. Still smarting after a couple of recent fettling fails. Our local recycling centre redirects bikes to a community enterprise - bikes are checked over and sold. I'll have a look and see what they have.

Well, I fell flat on my face a few times with that build. :blush: It wasn't exactly plain sailing at times, but I think I found it one of the best ways to learn about how bikes fit together.

The most embarrassing fettling fail I had with it, was not assembling the old style saddle clamp properly after fitting a new saddle. I ended up riding home one-handed, with the other hand holding down the saddle nose to stop myself being shipped out of the back door. :laugh:

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
Well, I fell flat on my face a few times with that build. :blush: It wasn't exactly plain sailing at times, but I think I found it one of the best ways to learn about how bikes fit together.

The most embarrassing fettling fail I had with it, was not assembling the old style saddle clamp properly after fitting a new saddle. I ended up riding home one-handed, with the other hand holding down the saddle nose to stop myself being shipped out of the back door. :laugh:
oh dear.... it all turned out ok though! I have two books on how to build bikes which I think will be as far as I go for the moment.

Been looking into the Kona Dr Dew which gives me the steel frame but with a bit more versatility. Not many around though at the moment.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Thank god you didn't get an electric bike. :laugh: I'm in my 50's I won't be going electric unless I really break myself (I do keep trying). Might consider one when I'm 90.👅 (Kidding folks). 👅
I’m not really a daily rider and I didn’t want to have to make sure that a bike battery was charged before heading out. When the time comes for assistance, for whatever reason, maybe I’ll convert one of my bikes.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

It's here :wub::bicycle:right in the middle of the busieSt few days of the school holiday. Rode lovely round the block though, it feels like fun. I am completely in love with the suspension seat post. Planning to get out later in the week. Thank you all for your time and thoughts.

Pics are obligatory, you know! ^_^

Enjoy your new bike. :okay:

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

In the garden complete with manuals and quick release safety label, and in the garage with the most cheerful shopping pannier ever. I’m hoping it will hit the sweet spot of sensible enough for errands, especially when the paths are too muddy for the pretty Mixte, geared enough for the hills, robust enough for some light byways and useful enough to replace a few shorter car journeys.

Attachments

• 5D1B2E0D-4B97-431B-9C87-5C2F33D4B40B.jpeg
    5D1B2E0D-4B97-431B-9C87-5C2F33D4B40B.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20E86F72-402F-4E76-ACC6-3561496ABF12.jpeg
    20E86F72-402F-4E76-ACC6-3561496ABF12.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 9
In the garden complete with manuals and quick release safety label, and in the garage with the most cheerful shopping pannier ever. I’m hoping it will hit the sweet spot of sensible enough for errands, especially when the paths are too muddy for the pretty Mixte, geared enough for the hills, robust enough for some light byways and useful enough to replace a few shorter car journeys.

That's nice :okay: It's like a get-together between a hybrid and a rigid MTB.

That pannier is really cool btw - mine are a much more boring dark blue... :blush:

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

That's nice :okay: It's like a get-together between a hybrid and a rigid MTB.

That pannier is really cool btw - mine are a much more boring dark blue... :blush:
Thank you. I think the pannier is from REI via one of the mister’s work trips. It’s normally on the Vita but I think it works well on this bike too.

Top Bottom