Third bike. Sensible for the future or fun for now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hebe

getting better all the time
Choice is between a new steel Marin Larkspur and an electric hybrid.
Current bikes are a 10 year old Specialized Vita with rack and 28mm tyres, this gets used for longer rides, and a steel Dawes mixte with a basket that is used for errands/coffee in town type stuff.
I really like the Larkspur, which will get me onto the byways and the paths that my bikes don’t really like. Then I thought actually, I’m in my 50s, maybe I should be thinking about a sensible ebike (eg Ribble hybrid step through or a Juicy open ticket) to future proof my riding.

https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2022-larkspur-2

Sadly I can’t get both. Any comments? Thank you.

All uphill

Still rolling along
That Marin looks good!

Only you know how fit you are and what you hope to do with a new bike.

There are plenty of people here in their 60s and 70s who are not yet ready for an ebike (me included). On the other hand there are lots of people who go further and have more fun with some battery assistance.

Sorry that's not much help. Whatever you buy, enjoy it!

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

That Marin looks good!

There are plenty of people here in their 60s and 70s who are not yet ready for an ebike (me included). On the other hand there are lots of people who go further and have more fun with some battery assistance.

Thank you! I am out this morning so will come back here later. Aiming to get a look at the next model down of the Marin at lunchtime.

Its hard to know if we have reached peak ebike or if they will get a lot better within the next few years.
If you want a bike for easy trails, scour the bigger car boot sales for old school, non suspension MTBs. I have picked up some quite good ones for under £50 and it is hard to get anything as well suited to the task even brand new.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I visited a bike shop with my partner recently, she tested a Marin - just like the one you linked - and was absolutely enchanted. I gave it a try as well and have to say was very impressed. The Deore shifters were really nice to use and the (SunRace?) wide range cassette at the back was awesome. Out of the two options, that's what I would get.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Really depends on the state of your bank account :smile:

Just followed the link to the Larkspur. Looks like an American beach cruiser with derailleurs. Don’t know who it’s aimed at but one things for sure you won’t be going anywhere fast.

Don't understand why your existing bikes can’t cope with the byeways and path. I use my Trek road bike with 28mm tyres for what pass for roads plus paths down here, although it is more comfortable on my Cube MTB.
An electric bike is another matter..

Last edited:
Its hard to know if we have reached peak ebike or if they will get a lot better within the next few years.
If you want a bike for easy trails, scour the bigger car boot sales for old school, non suspension MTBs. I have picked up some quite good ones for under £50 and it is hard to get anything as well suited to the task even brand new.

Or the local recycling center if they've got a sales area...

This is pretty well much what I've done, although I stripped the one I acquired down to the bare frame and built it back up again with new components and gearing that suits. Wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped in the end, as I spent around £350 (oops!) but I've a lovely bike that handles the duff surfaces that my other bikes won't. It's a bit staid on dry tarmac, but take it off road and it really comes alive.

Added bonus, it's completely bespoke. And it turns heads. :becool:

Even if the actual bicycle mechanics doesn't change much in the next few/several years, I'm betting battery technology will develop at least somewhat.
If I were you I'd wait for the electric bike until/unless (for whatever reason) you feel it's a 'must'. Which might well not be for another 20 years or more, if you're in your 50s now and in reasonable health.
agree and when need to may well be able to get a conversion. I can see kits getting better.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

Thank you so much everyone, I knew I’d get some helpful responses here.
A cycling friend has complicated matters slightly by suggesting a Kona Dr Dew, which is still steel and nicely geared but very pretty.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

That Marin looks good!

Thank you! The Marin does appeal. Fitness isn’t bad right now so I could just carry on having fun!
Yes, it’s hard to imagine how ebikes will change. Presumably more on the battery side rather than the bike side. Good idea on the second hand mtb, thank you.
I visited a bike shop with my partner recently, she tested a Marin - just like the one you linked - and was absolutely enchanted. I gave it a try as well and have to say was very impressed. The Deore shifters were really nice to use and the (SunRace?) wide range cassette at the back was awesome. Out of the two options, that's what I would get.
That’s very encouraging, thank you. I saw the lower spec version today, definitely prefer the colour of the pricier one. My friend recommended the Kona Dr Dew too, which is a bit more understated.
Really depends on the state of your bank account :smile:

Just followed the link to the Larkspur. Looks like an American beach cruiser with derailleurs. Don’t know who it’s aimed at but one things for sure you won’t be going anywhere fast.

Don't understand why your existing bikes can’t cope with the byeways and path. I use my Trek road bike with 28mm tyres for what pass for roads plus paths down here, although it is more comfortable on my Cube MTB.
An electric bike is another matter..
Thank you, lots to consider here. I have savings to cover a normal bike, would possibly need to save more for an ebike but veering away from that route following the replies here. I’m not fast at all… even my notionally faster bike had chunky wheels, mudguards and a rack added. The mixte is also not built for speed. Interestingly, when I bought the Vita I had really chunky tyres put on for going on the local trails, but it was just not fun. I do run the Mixte on the flat trails into town and that's OK, if they're not too muddy.
Even if the actual bicycle mechanics doesn't change much in the next few/several years, I'm betting battery technology will develop at least somewhat.
If I were you I'd wait for the electric bike until/unless (for whatever reason) you feel it's a 'must'. Which might well not be for another 20 years or more, if you're in your 50s now and in reasonable health.
Thank you, that all makes good sense. Health is pretty good, touch wood, and always better after a bike ride!
Or the local recycling center if they've got a sales area...

This is pretty well much what I've done, although I stripped the one I acquired down to the bare frame and built it back up again with new components and gearing that suits. Wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped in the end, as I spent around £350 (oops!) but I've a lovely bike that handles the duff surfaces that my other bikes won't. It's a bit staid on dry tarmac, but take it off road and it really comes alive.

Added bonus, it's completely bespoke. And it turns heads. :becool:
Thank you. I remain really impressed by your building a "just right" bike. I'd love to do that one day. I don't think my skills are there quite yet though. Still smarting after a couple of recent fettling fails. Our local recycling centre redirects bikes to a community enterprise - bikes are checked over and sold. I'll have a look and see what they have.
agree and when need to may well be able to get a conversion. I can see kits getting better.
Yes! That sounds very sensible. Thank you.
There you go fixed that for you. Get the Marin
Well that was easy ^_^

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

on the secondhand front I'd also consider 90s steel hybrids. Make excellent general purpose bikes/city bikes/tourers.

One of mine will very probably get a kit at some point in the future.
Thank you, I will have a look. A local bike shop does ebike conversions.
Whatever you do @Hebe , don't get rid of that mixte. Except to me, of course...
:biggrin:
The Mixte is going nowhere 😀 even my uber cool teenager wouldn't want that one to leave! I rode it with her last weekend, she was on her Liv hybrid. Trying to keep up nearly broke me 😂

Top Bottom