This any good for a new commuting bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C416&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c012372c012370

am interested in a low maintenance commuter. Which can meet the following needs
  • 23 miles each way road and canal paths
  • take mud gaurds/crud catcher (mtb ones ok)
  • possibly take small stem type rack and bag?
  • will the nexus range be wide enough to get me up the big hill, and on a long downhill run still have enough so i can push it?
Seems terrific value, had a go on one today at the leeds shop, (wrong size) gears seemed ok but i was only on it five minutes.

Any views much appreciated.

Andy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Looks nice -I've always liked the thought of an enclosed hub. My full commute is 23 miles each way (usually I park the car halfway and cycle half the way) -it makes for a long commute!

RedBike

It depends on what the canal towpath is like. Those slick 26x1.6 tyres are going to be lethal on wet grass / mud; (but obviously full on mud-pluggers will be horendously hard work on the back top)

The Nexus has a fair range range of gears. It's like being 'stuck' in the middle ring of a normal MTB. You can change the gearing a bit by changing the chainrings / sprocket on the hub; but obviously if you lower the bottom gear you will also lower the top gear aswell.

I never really liked the nexus because it made ther rear wheel feel so heavy (and therefore the whole bike feel heavy). I never noticed any lack of performance / in-efficency compared to a chain though.

Full length mud-guards work A LOT better than mtb 'crud' catches. The full length guards will keep the mud off you and the bike. The MTB crud catches will just stop the worst of it spraying on you. (Although if its very muddy full length guards will easily clog, which is why they're not used for MTBing!)

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

when i was only doing half of my commute (driving the road part) i used a mtb with the same tyres on, soon got used to them and learnt to spot where a bit more care was required.

Wolf, whats the deal with rustless spokes?

Could this take full mudgaurds for the winter?

andy

Wolf04 said:
Galvanised wire by any other name, when the zinc gets chipped or worn they rust!
Pete

as with any zinc plated steel, if its scratche/chipped off, and salt water comes into contact, it can have an electrolytic effect (as like acid in a battery) and can rust away underneath the coating, without you even noticing!!! - stainless is better...

Top Bottom