This conundrum stumped me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Even having had this explained to me, on a simple line by line deduction basis.
If you gave me the exact same puzzle again I would not be able to work out the answer.

(I design computer software for a living....)

So you were responsible for the banking crisis...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Even having had this explained to me, on a simple line by line deduction basis.
If you gave me the exact same puzzle again I would not be able to work out the answer.

(I design computer software for a living....)
I used to write software.

I worked it out using the same logic explained in NormanD's post.

I'm good at that kind of thing. It's just everyday life that I struggle with! :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I notice there's been an alternative solution published, although it does make an additional assumption which I think makes it wrong. The article in the Graun did contain this rather excellent joke though:

Three logicians walk into a bar.
Barman: "Is everyone having a drink?"
Logician one: "I don't know."
Logician two: "I don't know."
Logician three: "Yes"
:rofl:

ColinJ

I notice there's been an alternative solution published, although it does make an additional assumption which I think makes it wrong. The article in the Graun did contain this rather excellent joke though:

Three logicians walk into a bar.
Barman: "Is everyone having a drink?"
Logician one: "I don't know."
Logician two: "I don't know."
Logician three: "Yes"
:rofl:
I have heard that one before.

I think it is the wrong question though, because it does not allow for any of the logicians dithering. If they don't know because they can't read the minds of the other 2, then fair enough - "Don't know" means "Well, I want a drink but I don't know if they do". If "Don't know" means "I haven't made my mind up yet" then it doesn't work!

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK then, how about this one, from the intermediate challenge, which is the UK equivalent of that Singaporean test.
Screenshots_2015-04-15-20-25-10.png

ColinJ

OK then, how about this one, from the intermediate challenge, which is the UK equivalent of that Singaporean test.
View attachment 85787
I don't know if that is a trick question but I think that I see a problem with it!

Horatio is definitely a liar, because if he were telling the truth then all of the other 3 would have to be liars, which is not the case. That rules out B, C and E.

Answer D is clearly wrong because 2 people supposedly telling the truth contradict each other.

So, the obvious answer is A - Bernard and Inigo are the ones telling the truth. Their statements do not contradict each other. The other 2 statements are lies.

The problem is that we are not given the option of selecting F - Alfred and Inigo, which could also be true!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't know if that is a trick question but I think that I see a problem with it!

Horatio is definitely a liar, because if he were telling the truth then all of the other 3 would have to be liars, which is not the case. That rules out B, C and E.

Answer D is clearly wrong because 2 people supposedly telling the truth contradict each other.

So, the obvious answer is A - Bernard and Inigo are the ones telling the truth. Their statements do not contradict each other. The other 2 statements are lies.

The problem is that we are not given the option of selecting F - Alfred and Inigo, which could also be true!
Surely Alfred and Inigo's statements contadict each other? Alfred claims Bernard is the youngest, while Inigo claims that he was born last, ie is youngest. So one of them must be lying.

tyred

Legendary Member
:stop:

Can I see a photo of this Cheryl before deciding whether or not it's worth my while to work out when her birthday is and sending her a present:whistle:

ColinJ

Surely Alfred and Inigo's statements contadict each other? Alfred claims Bernard is the youngest, while Inigo claims that he was born last, ie is youngest. So one of them must be lying.
Blimey - there are my dodgy braincells in action again! I read "born last" multiple times and equated it to "oldest" every time. Well, I suppose I made that mistake the first time and then didn't think about it again.

I have had a couple of experiences which starved my brain of oxygen (collapses due to carbon monoxide poisoning, and from a major embolism almost blocking my pulmonary artery) and I am pretty sure that I suffered brain damage as a result. That's my excuse anyway, and I am sticking to it! :okay:

Top Bottom