This could get nasty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Thanks for all the good wishes.

Firstly, and most importantly, the knee has settled down. I went to the docs last week and they said it looks like it'll heal fine on it's own. I've been cycling on it (short distances) and it's felt OK. I guess it was just reacting to the knock it took.

Secondly, I've let my manager know about the fact I'm the counter-party for the claim so they can deal with any conflict of interest issues. I don't see this as a big problem, they just need to make sure the person dealing with the claim doesn't know me, which shouldn't be hard as I'm a newbie. ;)

Finally, the driver was arrested for dangerous driving last week. He denied the offence under interview, but after CPS advice the investigating officer charged him, and he's in court next week. It turns out the witness was an off-duty copper, who provided a "very thorough statement". :eek: :thumbsup:
Hopefully this will persuade the perp that a guilty plea is his only option, as that simplifies my life greatly going forward, but what I've seen and heard so far doesn't offer much encouragement. We shall see.

PBancroft

Good news about the knee, and about the work situation.

Hope the tw@t realises he should plead guilty.

Great news about the witness, it should make the odds better.

Now I really want to know what happened, in particular what is being denied...their word's versus a copper's. We all know how that is going to come out :biggrin:.

yello

It turns out the witness was an off-duty copper, who provided a "very thorough statement". :eek:

My word, that's a stroke of luck! I wonder if the charges would have been made otherwise?

Good to hear you're on the mend too. :smile:

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Hello again. :hello:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought the folks who've offered support would like to know how things have developed since.

As anticipated the driver pleaded not guilty when in court so the case went to full trial, which took place last week. Myself, the witness and the defendant were scheduled to give testimony on the day. I went for a pre-trial visit arranged by witness services which was useful because I had some idea of where to go and who to see on the day of trial, which was helpful in avoiding the defendant before trial. The trial started not long after the expected time and I was called to give my evidence. I took along my parents on the day who said I gave a good account of myself, which surprised me as I was very nervous, especially when starting the testimony.

One rather surreal moment was when the questioning started and the prosecutor asked what I was doing (CTC ride), and then where I came back. I went in to great detail about the route back from leaving the group, taking in the back roads and country lanes, when the prosecutor interrupted and asked where I was when the incident took place. "Ah, your not really interested in this" I thought. :blush:

Interestingly, when the cross-examination started I wasn't nervous, probably because I had something to kick against. It seemed pretty clear from the line of questioning that the defence was going to deny my version of events. The line of questioning was rather strange, lots of "I put it to you that... " which allowed me to say "No, this happened" pretty much to every question.

Anyway, I left the trial after I was dismissed, but later learned that the defendant finished his testimony too late for the magistrates to deliberate so the trial was adjourned. They reconvene next week, after which I'll actually be able to say what happened!

As regards the other matters, the insurers have admitted liability and I'm still in a job, so that all looks like working out OK! I was seen by an independent medic who agreed the knee was basically OK but will benefit from some physio. And I have my bike back with upgraded Centaur ergos because the Veloce ones that were on originally can't be sourced due to the worldwide shortage of Campag 10s levers - who knew?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hello again. :hello:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought the folks who've offered support would like to know how things have developed since.

As anticipated the driver pleaded not guilty when in court so the case went to full trial, which took place last week. Myself, the witness and the defendant were scheduled to give testimony on the day. I went for a pre-trial visit arranged by witness services which was useful because I had some idea of where to go and who to see on the day of trial, which was helpful in avoiding the defendant before trial. The trial started not long after the expected time and I was called to give my evidence. I took along my parents on the day who said I gave a good account of myself, which surprised me as I was very nervous, especially when starting the testimony.

One rather surreal moment was when the questioning started and the prosecutor asked what I was doing (CTC ride), and then where I came back. I went in to great detail about the route back from leaving the group, taking in the back roads and country lanes, when the prosecutor interrupted and asked where I was when the incident took place. "Ah, your not really interested in this" I thought. :blush:

Interestingly, when the cross-examination started I wasn't nervous, probably because I had something to kick against. It seemed pretty clear from the line of questioning that the defence was going to deny my version of events. The line of questioning was rather strange, lots of "I put it to you that... " which allowed me to say "No, this happened" pretty much to every question.

Anyway, I left the trial after I was dismissed, but later learned that the defendant finished his testimony too late for the magistrates to deliberate so the trial was adjourned. They reconvene next week, after which I'll actually be able to say what happened!

As regards the other matters, the insurers have admitted liability and I'm still in a job, so that all looks like working out OK! I was seen by an independent medic who agreed the knee was basically OK but will benefit from some physio. And I have my bike back with upgraded Centaur ergos because the Veloce ones that were on originally can't be sourced due to the worldwide shortage of Campag 10s levers - who knew?

Good luck with the sentancing/verdict!

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Yes, good luck. Hope it all pans out well for you.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Good luck with the sentancing/verdict!
D'y'know something? I'm finding myself fairly ambivalent about the outcome. I've told my story and it's now up to "those guys" what happens. The result for me is this guy has been brought into court and made to account for his actions.

Edit: And again, thanks everyone!

Peter10

Like others said, go to A&E and state you were in an accident recently. It is worth it even for peace of mind. Unlikely it will happen to you but some people don't show problems for a few days then deteriorate quickly with awful injuries. I've seen it with people who are in car accidents who seem fine and a week later they are really suffering.

Get well soon and I hope to hear a good update regarding the nutter soon!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hope it works out ok , string then by the toenails upside down and shake all the cash from the pockets of the offender :biggrin:.

Glad you seem to be healing ok !

Top Bottom