This is a first (for me anyway)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Got on the bike today,and first bit of tarmac felt something wrong on the back wheel, felt like a buckle. Looked down and could see there was a deflection on the tyre as it was turning. So I stopped for closer examination, at first it looked like a chunk out of the tyre where it meets the rim. With my glasses on :rolleyes: I could see the problem, Broken slate jammed between the tyre and rim, Now I run my tyres at 45 psi and I cant remember hitting anything hard yesterday,so I am racking my brain as to how in the devil it got in there. We are talking a fairly sizeable piece here about an inch and a half long and jammed right to the rim.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Happens all the time with 4x4's used off-road in anger but I can't imagine it happening to an MTB tyre without you noticing. Just a fluke occurance I guess and you were extremely lucky not to suffer a deflation at the same time.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Happens all the time with 4x4's used off-road in anger but I can't imagine it happening to an MTB tyre without you noticing. Just a fluke occurance I guess and you were extremely lucky not to suffer a deflation at the same time.

Well that's one over on the puncture fairy, and somewhat freaky:ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've experienced weird things like that from time to time, and always wonder how the hell they happened.

Once, I was riding my mountain bike along the Rochdale canal towpath near Todmorden when my rear tyre suddenly went flat and the wheel locked up.

When I took a look, I discovered a 6-inch nail stuck in the tyre. Not so weird, you reckon ...? Well, it was stuck through both sidewalls of the tyre next to the rim as if somebody had hammered it through!

I can't for the life of me work out how riding over a nail could make it do that. And no, it hadn't been done by somebody when I wasn't watching. The nail jammed in the seat stays so there was no way that I could have ridden the bike, even if the tyre had stayed up.

Top Bottom