This is driving me crazy, please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mtbike

This looks like the 2005 or 2006 Specialized Rockhopper but the description for those are 9 speed and this bike appears to have an 8 cog cassette. Anybody know what bike and cassette this is?
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2019.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Cassettes are easy to swap, so trying to identify a bike on the basis of that alone is pointless.

Email the frame number to Spesh and they'll tell you what it is, assuming it is a Spesh.

OP
OP
M

mtbike

I've gone through bicyclebluebook.com and haven't been able to find any Rockhoppers that have an 8 cog cassette so...

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It is a 2006 Rockhopper and would have had a 9 speed cassette when new. Parts do wear out over time and have been replaced with 8 speed gear.
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=11858

Your quick release skewer on the rear wheel is the wrong way round, the release lever should be non drive side.
After a good clean up that will be a nice bike.

Edit - as @Drago said it could be the 2005 model, I’m looking at the black fork Stantions, they are chrome on the 2006 model assuming the forks are original.
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=10600

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtbike

Thank you both for your feedback, that is helpful. So it sounds like I'll be OK using a 9 speed cassette. It needs a good cleaning that's for sure!

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thank you both for your feedback, that is helpful. So it sounds like I'll be OK using a 9 speed cassette. It needs a good cleaning that's for sure!

That depends on the rest of the gear components; if everything has been changed to 8-speed then you'll need to replace it with a new 8-speed cassette. If the shifters and mech are 9-speed then you need a 9-speed cassette. Shimano parts all have model numbers on them, mountain bike parts tend to start with an M. If you locate them and post them up I'm sure we'll be able to identify what kit you've got fitted and what your options are...

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If everything works ok then I would leave it as 8 speed, doesn’t make a great deal of difference in my opinion. You could replace with 9 speed when your current set up requires replacement through wear and tear, until then don’t waste your money.

OP
OP
M

mtbike

Thanks a bunch. I'm getting so many answers here to questions I didn't even know I had. Here's a photo of the shifter.

Attachments

• x.JPG
    x.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 48

JhnBssll

Veteran
ST-MC20 appears to be Alivio, 3x8 speed ie 3 chainrings and 8 speed cassette. If that's the case you'll need to stick with an 8 speed cassette :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some race mechanics like the QR lever on the RHS because it can make a quick wheel change easier, depending on their technique. It looks a bit messy, though.

OP
OP
M

mtbike

Hello again. I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread but I have a question about installing an 8 speed cassette onto a Direto direct trainer. I read conflicting info that it works for some but not others. The Direto comes with two spacers. Will that be enough? I'm afraid to install it because I don't know if I can uninstall it without special bike tools.

Top Bottom