This is getting serious now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

Hi all,

I decided back in May that it was pretty shameful to be driving 2.2 miles each way to work, so I bought a hybrid bike and started riding after 20+ years of no meaningful exercise. I did previously enjoy mountain biking but as I say, a long time ago.

As the months have passed by I have found myself taking longer routes to work in both directions (usually now around 20km total each day maybe 3-4 times a week) and going for a long ride on the weekend. I managed a 74km ride on Sunday. I'm not shattering any records but am pleased with my progress considering I'm rather overweight (improving) and have built up to this from nothing in a period of a few months.

The next challenge is keeping the training up over winter and moving on to a road bike - look out for a post asking for recommendations shortly ;)

I'm 43 and from Worcester. I am now spending a lot of my time obsessing about cycling and so thought it was time to take the plunge and join a forum.

Thanks for reading :smile:

howdo :bicycle: well done on you efforts so far ,ask away you will get plenty answers

Welcome Dan!
Be careful..... I was a lot like you a few years ago......
You don't know where you might end up!

Mind you, I've never considered myself "serious" ^_^

Keep enjoying your bike!

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Welcome Dan!
Be careful..... I was a lot like you a few years ago......
You don't know where you might end up!

Mind you, I've never considered myself "serious" ^_^

Keep enjoying your bike!

Well there is no chance of me going touring that's for sure. The mrs gets annoyed that I'm away from the kids for a few hours leaving her to deal with them so I don't think she'll go for that. Fair play though, looks like it would be good fun.

Well there is no chance of me going touring that's for sure. The mrs gets annoyed that I'm away from the kids for a few hours leaving her to deal with them so I don't think she'll go for that. Fair play though, looks like it would be good fun.
No reason you can't bring them along! ^_^

Reactions: mjr

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Welcome to the friendliest forum out there.
Ask the missus to go touring with you and leave the kiddies with their grandparents?
Even an overnighter to a local campsite can be considered touring. Its not the miles that count, its the smiles :smile:

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Only been riding since May and already doing 74km. :welcome: but I already hate you!!!

It did take me 3.5 hours without any stops and only 527m of climbing. I'm averaging about 130km/week but 60-80km of that is easy commuting. I'm concerned what I'm going to do over winter because it would be a shame to lose all this progress. First day I rode to work I had to stop twice on the 3.5km journey home so I've definitely made good progress, even if I did get easily overtaken by a guy on a full suspension mountain bike on the way home yesterday.

Top Bottom