This is interesting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to confess I look at velobase quite a lot, but have never been in this section. I'm off to put the kettle on before having a browse:cuppa:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
6 speed indexed shifters are pretty common (they're still made in vast quantities for cheap "Shimano SIS" bikes) but don't work well without a proper indexed cassette. All the cleverness of indexing is in the cassette tooth profiles, and without that you always have to "overshift" to change gear.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
6 speed indexed shifters are pretty common (they're still made in vast quantities for cheap "Shimano SIS" bikes) but don't work well without a proper indexed cassette. All the cleverness of indexing is in the cassette tooth profiles, and without that you always have to "overshift" to change gear.
The Huret 6 speed so call indexed DT shifters I got didn't work......I spent ages fiddling with adjustments and cable tension, whatever I did it always skipped one sprocket and as you say, needed to overshift a lot. Luckily the ebayer accepted returns so they have gone back.
So.... we have got a couple of touring bikes (why I sold my Evans a while back I don't know although it was 27" wheels) I have picked up a very nice 93 Dawes Galaxy for Ms TF and an equally nice 88 Raleigh Randonnuer for myself both in amazing condition and mechanically perfect. The Dawes had 7 speed indexed DT shifters which I changed for RSX sti's which work beautifully so I intend to pop a 7 speed freewheel on the Raleigh and use the indexed shifters from the Dawes. :becool:

Top Bottom