This is it, they've arrived....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Nah! I've had clipped moments, this is only subtely different (I 'ope)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've just fitted my spd pedals this afternoon. I've never even ridden clipped let alone clipless before xx( :tongue:

Won't be riding untill late next week though, I've practiced unclipping a few times in the front room which seems easy enough but I just know I'm gonna forget on the road :blush:

Good luck :sad:

Joe

Über Member
If you're anything like me it's the second ride out you should watch out on. The paranoia will be gone but they haven't quite become second nature yet!xx(

SamNichols

No matter how long you use them, it will always happen. So, basically don't worry about it and when it happens just laugh it off, get up and ride away.

bonj2

Crackle said:
No, no - not literally, it's the mental leap I'm talking about

you can always put it back if you don't like it. I think you're scared you'll like it but be seen as 'fangled' and 'jumping on a bandwagon'.
(oh and what's the reasoning behind having A520s over M520s/M540/M647?)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

bonj said:
you can always put it back if you don't like it. I think you're scared you'll like it but be seen as 'fangled' and 'jumping on a bandwagon'.
(oh and what's the reasoning behind having A520s over M520s/M540/M647?)

xx(:smile:

....jumping on the bandwagon. I think it left sometime ago. I always aim to get the next one anyway... I have already tried them on a mate's bike and found them to be quite user friendly. And I do 'fangled' but just don't believe in change for change's sake - apart from that, you are remarkably on the money, 7/10.

A520's: Well don't need double sided for a road bike, so I like the fact they look more elegant and have a slightly bigger platform than the M520's, which I will, incidentally, get for my mtn bike because it's an absolute arse trying to flick pedals around on a remount on an offroad path, I know 'cause I used clipped now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Cleat 1 is on the shoe.....I have gone past the point of easy return, I am to all intents and purposes, committed.!!

bonj2

Crackle said:
A520's: Well don't need double sided for a road bike, so I like the fact they look more elegant and have a slightly bigger platform than the M520's, which I will, incidentally, get for my mtn bike because it's an absolute arse trying to flick pedals around on a remount on an offroad path, I know 'cause I used clipped now.

and why is it not an arse trying to flick them around on a road bike? You've sacrificed ease of use for fashion.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

bonj said:
and why is it not an arse trying to flick them around on a road bike? You've sacrificed ease of use for fashion.

Have you ridden with clips? If you had then you'd know a pedal flick becomes second nature. It's not just fashion, the A520's have a bigger platform, more important on a road bike.

That said, I shall report back on their performance and let you know if you were right.

Laurence, what's the feet over table stuff for? I don't want to miss out on any important ceremonies to mark this occasion xx(

mondobongo

Über Member
Cleat Alignment
If you are anatomically perfect, the cleats should point at the front of your shoe.
This method worked for me (Ed);
Sit on a table, high enough to dangle your legs.
Look down at your feet and imagine a front to back straight line running through them. This is the alignment your cleats should take. Fit 'em.
Go for a gentle ride and pay close attention to how you feel in the first 5-10 minutes of riding. Warm legs are more forgiving of the bad positioning that can cause sore knees. Go home and adjust if you have to.
I carried the alan key in a pocket for the first few rides and gave them a little tweak at cafe stops until I was happy!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

mondobongo said:
Cleat Alignment
If you are anatomically perfect, the cleats should point at the front of your shoe.
This method worked for me (Ed);
Sit on a table, high enough to dangle your legs.
Look down at your feet and imagine a front to back straight line running through them. This is the alignment your cleats should take. Fit 'em.
Go for a gentle ride and pay close attention to how you feel in the first 5-10 minutes of riding. Warm legs are more forgiving of the bad positioning that can cause sore knees. Go home and adjust if you have to.
I carried the alan key in a pocket for the first few rides and gave them a little tweak at cafe stops until I was happy!

Aha! In fact I was just setting them up on the turbo to do that very thing. My left knee requires a slight cant on the cleat, whereas my right knee is more or less straight. I haven't quite decided on how far forward or back yet but they are more forward at the moment, I'll need a longer ride to sort that out. Just adjusting tension next and off to find a table to sit on!

Top Bottom