This is what happens when...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a 19-mile ride with my 13yo son today in the gorgeous morning sunshine.

He wore a helmet and sunglasses; I wore a cotton cap and sunglasses. It doesn't take a genius to guess what happened.

We rode together to his pal's house and then I left him there and headed home. Lovely to be able to pour water onto a cotton hat and feel it gradually cooling the scalp as it seeps down.

In the hills south of Hereford, I was able to get up to 40mph while riding alone.

Then... I had to swerve round a pothole I hadn't seen in the bright sunlight. I was doing well over 30mph on a sweeping descent.

No hassle, no wobbles, no crash. I just rode round the hole. Then I got home and had a shower.

It made me think, that did.

What did it make you think? That you didn't need a helmet, or that you should have been wearing one? (serious question, BTW).

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

What did it make you think? That you didn't need a helmet, or that you should have been wearing one? (serious question, BTW).

Then I must give a serious answer.

On reflection, it didn't make me think much at all.

If I thought anything it was that on a sunny day the cotton cap is God's gift to cycling. He might even have made it in the image of a cycling cap he wears. I'm not sure if deities can suffer head trauma, so this may be OT as He wouldn't have to consider wearing a helmet.

But back to caps:

The peak is just right to keep the sun off the eyes - and it is adjustable for angle!

The cotton allows water poured on a cooking skull to seep round and cool the scalp gently.

You can scratch an itch, which my helmet does not allow me to do.

StuartG

slower but further
Nothing nicer than riding without headgear. I wear a cap when:
* I need the peak to shade my eyes
* In rain
* Its cold
That is when it makes the ride nicer than without. If I had to wear a helmet it would not feel as nice and there is all the palaver of finding it, storing it, trying to pick up a loaf while holding it and wheeling the bike. Hence I would ride less. So yes, it would lower the chances of a cycling injury to my head, legs and butt. Hence less cycling KSIs. Happy now?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was wearing one yesterday on a steep downhill at about 35mph. A gust of wind knocked it off my head so had to stop and walk back to pick it up!

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Nothing nicer than riding without headgear. I wear a cap when:
* I need the peak to shade my eyes
* In rain
* Its cold
That is when it makes the ride nicer than without. If I had to wear a helmet it would not feel as nice and there is all the palaver of finding it, storing it, trying to pick up a loaf while holding it and wheeling the bike. Hence I would ride less. So yes, it would lower the chances of a cycling injury to my head, legs and butt. Hence less cycling KSIs. Happy now?

I wear a cap or a wooly hat almost all of the time... But then where I live it is either sunny, raining or cold (or all three) almost all of the time.

I am happy now, thank you; but in your penultimate sentence (quoted above) I would be happier still if 'fewer' had been used instead of 'less'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom