This is what we need over here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It will be interesting to see if the two "murderers" get their sentences reduced on appeal.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It will be interesting to see if the two "murderers" get their sentences reduced on appeal.
They will. Clearly this is meant to 'send a message'. Whether the 'particular sub-class of people in Germany' (a slightly chilling phrase, given the history, whatever the arguable justification) pays any heed is doubtful in the extreme. But some might, and at least they're trying.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The problem with sentences for reckless manslaughter (which is ultimately what death by dangerous driving is) is that even the most dangerous drivers probably don't aim to kill - which is why reckless manslaughter is an appropriate charge.

Longer sentences aren't going to act as a deterrent so you have to ask if you are locking them up for longer simply for retribution? After all, the public can be protected and the offender can be rehabilitated outside of prison with longer, or perhaps better lifelong driving bans.

D

Deleted member 26715

The problem with sentences for reckless manslaughter (which is ultimately what death by dangerous driving is) is that even the most dangerous drivers probably don't aim to kill - which is why reckless manslaughter is an appropriate charge.
They were driving through a large city centre 'in the early hours of 1 February 2016' at over 100 miles an hour, there are very few cities where there is never any people walking around, they must have known there was risk & decided their pleasure was more important than another's life, either consciously or subconsciously at the very least.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I blame computer games; really. My son plays these games where the car is seemingly impregnable and can't be damaged even if it flies into the air and lands on a different highway. I really do honestly believe that kids who play these games a lot come to believe they must be driving gods while having no understanding of the damage a real car can cause or sustain even at the lowest speeds.

*dons tin helmet and runs for bunker*

D

Deleted member 26715

*dons tin helmet and runs for bunker*
I don't think you need to do that I am a real petrolhead but totally agree with you, sitting in chair pretending to drive a car has no bearing on real life when inside the car with the G-forces & being able to understand the traction of the tyres.

Lonestar

Veteran
I don't think you need to do that I am a real petrolhead but totally agree with you, sitting in chair pretending to drive a car has no bearing on real life when inside the car with the G-forces & being able to understand the traction of the tyres.

Sometimes i think in real life driving they think it's a computer game anyway and lets face it a lot of time in crashes the crashee comes out unscathed but an innocent victim does not.

Jody

Stubborn git
I blame computer games; really.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjlhrZz83kmeh12lGb-gYQ9R6hpdb0lrT1CvHpKca_GneKtkqz7w.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
if I were ever Lord Protector (hey, it might happen one day ;) ) then anyone acting in a wilfully unlawful manner who kills someone while doing so would be automatically charged with murder. Whether they used a gun, knife, or an Audi, someone died as a result of their decision to act outside the law, and they should be dealt with accordingly.

And none of this 'hardship' malarkey when considering sentence. If they were that bothered they should have thought about it before committing the crime, not expect a Court to think about it on their behalf afterwards. Indeed, the sentence should be designed to reflect the hardship caused by the victims families.

Right, that's crime and punishment sorted. Tomorrow i'll have a look at poverty ;)

Jody

Stubborn git
They have a point when the prosecutor stated "This was not a race down a country road,"
37665645_303.jpg

If you are going to do things like that in public (not that I condone their behaviour) a town centre is not the place

Jody

Stubborn git
Neither is a country lane, if you want to race get on a track.

I didn't mention country lanes but the prosecutor has a point about driving fast in a built up area and yes the track or strip is a place if you want to race.

Top Bottom