This is worrying.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Although this is local to me, i would assume it's also happening on a national level. Maybe it's time to beef up the security on your shed/garage, double check that you have enough insurance cover and maybe even lock your bikes up while they're stored at home.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tory-18077483-detail/story.html#axzz2KIYySNBY

Beverley is a small market town near Hull which is supposedly a nice place to live, maybe the criminals see it as a soft target.

I feel really sory for the guy who had his MTB's stolen.......i know how i would feel if it happened to me :cursing:

Lee_M

Guru
10k worth of bikes in a shed? What did he think would happen?

I have a shed, its a security shed, so even though its wood its built like the proverbial outhouse, no nails, all screws and external screws to get at, plus a big FO lock within a security shield so you cant get at it to prise it off.

Yes they could still get in, but only by dismantling the shed with a sledgehammer

Tribanite

My bikes are kept in a shed. 2 locks on the door + security light.
Bikes are D locked to each other and anchor point.
At some point a shed alarm will be installed.
House insurance covers £3000 worth of bikes,even though mine are worth a fraction of that

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having been 'targeted' you have to be careful. A neighbour had some serious MTB kit taken from his garage - they went in via the roof.

We have a brick garage with an up and over door. The up and over has two additional locks on it, then there is a side window and door - these are bolted shut and have bars over the windows on the in-side - you can't get in. Despite this I have vibration alarms on the window, a PIR inside the garage and all the bikes are chained or d'locked to anchors.

The alarms were fitted after someone took the time to de-activate the security lights, then remove the glass from the side window (intact) and managed a peek inside - they couldn't have got in anyway.

It is worrying. I've kept my bike inside for some time now but obviously its not practical for everyone to do this.

Sound advice been mentioned re light\alarms\anchors.... Its all we can do.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Whats the cost of such storage arraingments though.

Depends on the locality (company) if you pay up front or monthly etc and size of unit.... but your looking at around £200 a month for enough space to store 5 bikes on stands with space between them and a tool chest.
If you only want to store one bike (or two close together) you can get a small unit for a pretty good price

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Chuck the bed out of the spare room and put the bikes in there. Also, as an added bonus, you have an excuse that relatives are not able to come and stay!

My spare room is currently rented out to my housemate and the boxroom is set up as a study, so that's a non starter for me, still like the idea though ^_^
Had thought about using the conservatory, but that means my bikes are more on show than when they're in the garage, i'm leaning towards cctv in the garage, need to look into whether i can hook it up to my PVR to record or to my PC to stream live to the net.

classic33

Leg End Member
My spare room is currently rented out to my housemate and the boxroom is set up as a study, so that's a non starter for me, still like the idea though ^_^
Had thought about using the conservatory, but that means my bikes are more on show than when they're in the garage, i'm leaning towards cctv in the garage, need to look into whether i can hook it up to my PVR to record or to my PC to stream live to the net.
A few to go on:
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/search?q=day/night+network+camera

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wife might not be to happy if i convert one of the kids bedrooms into a bike shed :huh:
Bikes insured and secured by chains to wall anchors in a locked garage, next door neighbour is a policeman.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Wife might not be to happy if i convert one of the kids bedrooms into a bike shed :huh:
Bikes insured and secured by chains to wall anchors in a locked garage, next door neighbour is a policeman.
I used to work for an engineering firm making windows and doors for the prison service. I borrowed one of their ( now outmoded) designs , 50x50x 4 box section, with free floating 30mm black bar inside. Hacksaw, once you cut through the box section the bar will just spin. Angle grinder, once through the box the disc will jam and shatter when it hits the bar.

Top Bottom