This makes me feel very down...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

only 4% undamaged? somebody was claiming in another thread that seventy percent was undiscovered! how can we know it's damaged if we haven't discovered it yet?

so in effect that's only 1.2% of the entire sea that's damaged. not too bad. more of the land surface is damaged than that.

JamesAC

bonj said:
only 4% undamaged? somebody was claiming in another thread that seventy percent was undiscovered! how can we know it's damaged if we haven't discovered it yet?

Ah.

I expect that the researchers were quoting area, rather than volume:

"The researchers divided the world's oceans into 1km-square sections and examined all real data available on how humankind is influencing the marine environment."

Most of the area of the oceans is known: it's the depths that are largely still a mystery.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

You lot can quote figures and whatever till your dead but what are you doing to save the planet for your kids......

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:
so in effect that's only 1.2% of the entire sea that's damaged. not too bad. more of the land surface is damaged than that.

Where do you get that figure from? the reprot says only 4% not damaged - I make that 96% damaged (and agree with James, it'll most likely be the surface area, or measured to a certain relatively shallow depth). So if you are going to compare the damage to the total volume, you'll have to account for the huge quantities of solid rock that aren't damaged by us - either you compare surface and surface or total and total, or your comparison isn't valid.

Saw a report in the paper the other day about the huge slick of plastic currently swirling around the Pacific. Apparently in places the sea is more like a sort of plastic soup with all the shredded up (but never decomposing) plastic - which gets ingested all the way up the food chain - not just stuff like seabirds and turtles, but by the micro-organisms that feed the fish that feed the fish that feed us...

It is depressing. I do't think we should be allowed to colonise other planets, looking at the mess we're making of this one..

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
You lot can quote figures and whatever till your dead but what are you doing to save the planet for your kids......

Bonj is going to have kids?:smile: Gawd help us....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yenrod said:

I'm not going to pee in the sea when I'm swimming - that should do it!

JamesAC

yenrod said:

I was trying to support the OP!

I think the whole planet is in a right state, and I do get very concerned for the legacy we are leaving for our children and grandchildren.

It seems to me that there are so many small things that so many of us can do; in concert would make an impact.

• Turn lights off in rooms (at work and at home) when the room is empty;

• Only boil enough water to make a pot of tea, rather than fill the kettle up;

• Firmly decline the offer of a plastic carrier bag at Sainsbury's;

• Turn the central heating down a click, and cuddle up (or, if desperate, use a hot-water bottle!)

• If your journey is under 2 miles, walk or cycle.

• If your journey is over 2 miles, cycle :smile:

• Don't run water down the drain needlessly when washing or washing up;

• Don't flush the lavatory unless you must.

• Recycle stuff like mad. Only chuck stuff away if you really must.

But it's all been said before. I recon that about 80-90% of my colleagues and relatives have no environmental concern at all.

:wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
I firmly challenge the idea that we are 'killing the planet' I don't believe we are at all. It is simple scaremongering and one massive marketing opportunity.

domtyler

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Wow and it took until message 12 before the twatknackers struck!

Ah I get it, see an alternative view point that you don't like and launch a personal attack on the person who voiced it. That's not really very clever is it?

We're not "killing the planet". I agree, we shouldn't be polluting the oceans and the atmosphere, but any geologist or palaeoclimatologist will tell you that this planet goes through far more traumatic events than anything we could ever throw at it. We're merely another phase of its very long history and are unimportant in the long run.
That said, I recycle, don't drop litter, turn lights off and avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily, but it won't make any difference ultimately.

Top Bottom