This Raleigh Clubman lives again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must ask gbb, how on eart do you use the drops??? I'd be afraid my hands would sip off!!! :tongue:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I must ask gbb, how on eart do you use the drops??? I'd be afraid my hands would sip off!!! :becool:

I dont...ever.:tongue:
As a purely leisure / fitness / commuting cyclist, i've no need to ever do it. 90% of the time i'm on the hoods and bend the elbows to get down if i need to.
I dont race or compete, so aerodynamics isnt really important to me.

gbb said:
I dont...ever.:tongue:
As a purely leisure / fitness / commuting cyclist, i've no need to ever do it. 90% of the time i'm on the hoods and bend the elbows to get down if i need to.
I dont race or compete, so aerodynamics isnt really important to me.

Fair enough :becool:

I also put myself in that catagory of cyclist, though use my drops every time im on the bike - different strokes and all that.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A couple of useless (probably :smile:) factoids...

Weights of my bikes are...

Via Nirone (alloy) 10.9 kg
Clubman (Reynolds 531) 11.3 kg
Raleigh Chimera (Chromoloy) 13.2 kg

So, the 1980s 531 Clubman weighs less than 1/2 a kilo more than a modern alloy bike.
The Chimera, a fine bike for the money..always felt heavy ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Interesting stuff about the weight. Any idea how much the frame and forks of the Bianchi compare with the Clubman? The difference may well be in the components/wheels etc.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
palinurus said:
Interesting stuff about the weight. Any idea how much the frame and forks of the Bianchi compare with the Clubman? The difference may well be in the components/wheels etc.

No palinurus...no idea :ohmy:
Both would be considered 'entry level'. Theres nothing special (and therefor light) about any of the components on either bike....

As another interesting point....
You soon find the weaknesses, problems, things you didnt think about when assembling said bike.
The SR seatpost is original. I knew it was a bit short, but grudgingly fitted it.
Man alive, after a 10 mile or so ride, the front of my thighs feel like theyve done 60 miles....it's AGONY xx(:blush:. Lower seat, less leg extension of course and therefor sore muscles.
Ive fitted an undersize but longer seatpost (shimmed it for now)...much much better.

The Sora shifters were an absolute bargain of a lifetime. 50p from a bootsale, sold by a guy who didnt know, or who couldnt care less. They genuinely look very new...i was very happy.
Once fitted......then you find out why. The 8 speed shifter occasionally doesnt 'ratchet' and doesnt shift in one gear. Give it another click and it then shifts no problem.
I can live with that...for 50p.

The deep drop brakes are dissapointing. Ok....but not that good. Some work to be done there.

Its nice to see the replys', thanks for the interest ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Looks great to me - well done on a very nice job!

Top Bottom