This was horrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
My first commute in an age yesterday. Morning went OK, the majority being 40mph dual carriageway. The rest was back roads. Lots of very wide passes, some not so, but nothing to make me wince.
The return I took a different route. Back through Rotherham. 'Doncaster Gate' is where the driving test centre is (was?) ironically. Its a thin road. I'm in a good secondary, bus coming towards me. As the bus passed... and for a split second there were 3 vehicles on one section of road.
One of the closest I've ever had
There are times I'm unsure if being clipped in is good or not. If not I reckon I'd have been seriously tempted to boot the door as it went past.

lejogger

Guru
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who after a close pass, yelps and then launches out of the saddle and commences the obligatory adrenaline-fuelled futile sprint after said offending vehicle... I've often wondered exactly what I'll do or say should I ever make it to 40mph and catch them up!

400bhp

Guru
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who after a close pass, yelps and then launches out of the saddle and commences the obligatory adrenaline-fuelled futile sprint after said offending vehicle... I've often wondered exactly what I'll do or say should I ever make it to 40mph and catch them up!

I've done this a few times. Once, I was so knackered, I was foaming at the mouth and slurring my words through the driver's passenger window. Not a good sight.

Jezston

Über Member
I've done this a few times. Once, I was so knackered, I was foaming at the mouth and slurring my words through the driver's passenger window. Not a good sight.

The last time I did it, and the last time I'll ever do it, I chased the guy for about a mile until he pulled over and a tiny old man got out. I felt terrible, but so did he. We hugged. It was a disturbingly beautiful moment.

Having a camera has made me feel I don't need to go after anyone.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist

If the lights ahead had turned red I would definitely have said something. What exactly, I'm not sure.

Jezston

Über Member
If the lights ahead had turned red I would definitely have said something. What exactly, I'm not sure.

I'm going to speculate the conversation would have gone something like this:

benb: "What the **** ******* do you think you're ****** doing? You shouldn't ..."
driver: "**** off you ********* ********** you shouldn't be on the road anyway blah blah road tax blah blah hippies blah blah pavement blah red light jumping blah cycle lanes!"

Judderz

Not a nice pass. It must be national "drive like a moron" day - I also had a close pass today* necessitating rapid use of the brakes.

* Note : This is the first video I have posted to Commuting. Please be gentle. I know my position could and probably should be more to the right, but I am not sure anything would have stopped him barging through. Ironically, I caught, and passed him snarled up in traffic up Stamford Hill - where I left him never to be overtook again. So passing me with mm to spare when round the corner there is ample room was absolutely worth it..

The guy you want to report this to is Joseph Woods (joseph@amathusdrinks.com)

Aiden_23

This made me chukle!!!!TBH thats just me on a normal day I wouldnt want to imagine what I would be like chassing someone......saying that your token hard WVM who jumps out to confront the cyclist he just nearly killed would probably run away at the sight of me!!!!:troll::crazy: :eek::cycle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Someone I knew about 20 years ago used to commute on the roads from Ashley Hill in Bristol, to Bath, and he kept his spent D-cell batteries in the back pocket of his cycle top to bounce off the roof of cars which threatened him. He would also take the keys from drivers who had caused a problem and drop them off with the nearest police officer. Mind you, he was extremely fit & very fast on his bike. I don't know if he survived for long carrying on like that..

Dobby

Benb, I love the word "twunt"! Should make car drivers cycle for a few days. Or go to France (where most car drivers seem to give la petite reine more room)

Holdsworth

Über Member
It must've been idiot driver day yesterday. I had a van driver pass me within a foot from my handlebars as I was setting off from a light-controlled pedestrian crossing. When I caught up with the van driver a junction up ahead where I was turning right and he was going straight on he shouted at me for not being on the "bike path". There isn't even one where he passed me but there is one at the roundabout between the crossing and my turn-off which he must've been referring to, it is pants anyway and I would never use it as it simply circumnavigates the r'bout before ending :wacko:

I am considering a Contour Roam helmet camera as I feel that this incident would've definitely been worth reporting to the police due to the extremely close pass and the abuse at the lights.

Lights

Piss-poor cycle lane

Junction which he blocked up to shout at me

subaqua

What’s the point

i have these thoughts too. best one is if you spot a kiddie seat and ask them if they would like a driver doing what they had just done, to their child
. usually makes them think about their actions. I have gone past Dlock into the windscreen phase, it really acheives nothing

simon.r

Person
Years ago a motorcyclist friend of mine, who looked like a real Hells Angel type, would chase drivers down and say to them, in a very well spoken voice "Excuse me Sir, would you mind telling me why you just tried to kill me?"

Top Bottom