This weekend's build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philtalksbx

Über Member
A free weekend and some available bits mean I can start building another SS.

I bought a frame on the Bay over Christmas. Dawes roadie in 501. A size bigger than my last build so hoping for a more comfy ride. The new frame came back from the coaters this week - CMF in Slough, very friendly, had three done there now and this one is finished the best so far.

So let's start with the frame and I'll post some more as the build goes on.
jpzgcl.jpg

The basic frame finished in bright white.
2h501s6.jpg

Not sure about the finish going all the way up the steerer - I may need to scrape it off to get the headset race fitted.
e9er6g.jpg

It was the dropouts that sold me on the frame - long horizontals and no hanger for a mech. Really clean lines, and eyelets for mudguards as this will be a station commute bike.
5pmouu.jpg

Also, no braze-ons for the down tube shifters, just a little nub where the strap fitted, again, really clean, and guides for the rear brake cable.
347tuvp.jpg

And now the secret flaw that every hand build has somewhere. Had to cut the stuck seat post out and nicked the seat tube. Oh well, no biggie.

Tomorrow it gets bits from the older, smaller SS while I ponder the upgrade path. Colour scheme will be white, chrome, black with blue highlights. I'm looking for a Charge saddle, I prefer the special edition Charge Surface in black and blue 'cos they had matching bar grips with anodised blue ends, but they are out of production so another variant will have to do.

All set up for tomorrow, lets see what turns up......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks great

apb

Veteran
Nice!
I like the idea of a white frame. But it always be dirty, hence with my frame is black.

D

Deleted member 1258

Nice!
I like the idea of a white frame. But it always be dirty, hence with my frame is black.

I like a white frame, my Verenti is white, doesn't always look dirty, but when it does it doesn't matter, a dirty bike means its been used for what it was made for, riding.

apb

Veteran
I like a white frame, my Verenti is white, doesn't always look dirty, but when it does it doesn't matter, a dirty bike means its been used for what it was made for, riding.
very true. a clean bike are for the weekend carbon lycra boys. THough i still think my tolerance of how dirty i will allow my bike to become would be less with a white bike.

AndyRM

XOXO
very true. a clean bike are for the weekend carbon lycra boys. THough i still think my tolerance of how dirty i will allow my bike to become would be less with a white bike.

Your bike looks awffy clean and white in your avatar :thumbsup:

The frame and forks look a lot like the SS I am currently working on. Mine was stickered up as a Raleigh Milk Race. Yours is a far lovelier machine having been resprayed. I may do the same to mine, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Days like this are just great.

The donor bike gave up its bits without too much resistance. New parts bought were:
  • bottom bracket - needed a 113 size to get the chain line
  • front brake cable - this frame is 23in, donor was 21 so brake cable didn't reach
  • pedals - been meaning to upgrade these for ages.
Total cost less than £30, everything else came from the donor or the parts bin.

So here is "Snowy" (don't ask, family suggestion...)
1zvuyrd.jpg

Wheels are Weinmann DP18 on Miche Hubs from PlanetX, great value, de-badged and shod with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25s. I love these for a bit of grip and pretty much bullet proof in town.
10p0s51.jpg

I ride both fixed and free, but mostly the freewheel for regular commuting. The frame geometry is odd - bigger frame yet when the wheels went in the chain was too long - had to take a pair of links out to get a tight chain, so must be a shorter rear triangle. Chain is a KMC Gold by the way.
1zbb1p5.jpg

The blue highlights might just wait as the grips already have red ends, and they look pretty good I think. The grips and brake levers are BMX stuff from Halfords, readily available and they work really well. The bar is another Halfords straight through but cut down to 500mm for urban use. Brakes are Tektro R559, they match the levers well and were bought as long reach options for the donor frame. On this frame they are set at the shortest reach and are just about ok.
4tjzur.jpg

The only bit that needs some serious attention is the seat post and saddle. I don't have a post that fits - I need a 26.0mm. Out of the parts bin is a 25.4 so a lot of mucking about with a couple of Pepsi cans and a makeshift shim is created until I can get a proper post. Also, with the red highlights I can go back to the Charge Spoon in black and red which is cheaper than the blue one. Until then I can use the well worn Brooks.

The saddle will be changed - if anyone wants the Brooks for a few beer vouchers, please let me know. It is old, cracked, solid and like some of my best shoes, good for a lot of use yet.

I rode her out for the first time this evening. The change of geometry is wonderful. The seat post creaks so that will change but the rest of it is just lovely - my new best bike. Frame £45, powder coating £60, bits £30, result is a big smile. I can sell on the donor frame and forks - Reynolds 531 in 21 inch, sound but a few rusty scratches, let me know if you are interested, and so the upgrade merry-go-round continues.

Think I'll go for a ride tomorrow.....

D

Deleted member 1258

Days like this are just great.

The donor bike gave up its bits without too much resistance. New parts bought were:
  • bottom bracket - needed a 113 size to get the chain line
  • front brake cable - this frame is 23in, donor was 21 so brake cable didn't reach
  • pedals - been meaning to upgrade these for ages.
Total cost less than £30, everything else came from the donor or the parts bin.

So here is "Snowy" (don't ask, family suggestion...)
1zvuyrd.jpg

Wheels are Weinmann DP18 on Miche Hubs from PlanetX, great value, de-badged and shod with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25s. I love these for a bit of grip and pretty much bullet proof in town.
10p0s51.jpg

I ride both fixed and free, but mostly the freewheel for regular commuting. The frame geometry is odd - bigger frame yet when the wheels went in the chain was too long - had to take a pair of links out to get a tight chain, so must be a shorter rear triangle. Chain is a KMC Gold by the way.
1zbb1p5.jpg

The blue highlights might just wait as the grips already have red ends, and they look pretty good I think. The grips and brake levers are BMX stuff from Halfords, readily available and they work really well. The bar is another Halfords straight through but cut down to 500mm for urban use. Brakes are Tektro R559, they match the levers well and were bought as long reach options for the donor frame. On this frame they are set at the shortest reach and are just about ok.
4tjzur.jpg

The only bit that needs some serious attention is the seat post and saddle. I don't have a post that fits - I need a 26.0mm. Out of the parts bin is a 25.4 so a lot of mucking about with a couple of Pepsi cans and a makeshift shim is created until I can get a proper post. Also, with the red highlights I can go back to the Charge Spoon in black and red which is cheaper than the blue one. Until then I can use the well worn Brooks.

The saddle will be changed - if anyone wants the Brooks for a few beer vouchers, please let me know. It is old, cracked, solid and like some of my best shoes, good for a lot of use yet.

I rode her out for the first time this evening. The change of geometry is wonderful. The seat post creaks so that will change but the rest of it is just lovely - my new best bike. Frame £45, powder coating £60, bits £30, result is a big smile. I can sell on the donor frame and forks - Reynolds 531 in 21 inch, sound but a few rusty scratches, let me know if you are interested, and so the upgrade merry-go-round continues.

Think I'll go for a ride tomorrow.....

Your donor frame sounds interesting, do you have a picture

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
I have pics of the donor as a built up bike - looks similar to this but silver and slightly smaller. I'll take some more specific pics in the morning.
Frame and forks are 531 21 inch, metallic silver paint, several chips and scratches, not sure of origin, more details tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have pics of the donor as a built up bike - looks similar to this but silver and slightly smaller. I'll take some more specific pics in the morning.
Frame and forks are 531 21 inch, metallic silver paint, several chips and scratches, not sure of origin, more details tomorrow.

OK cheers

young Ed

Veteran
i WOULD be interested in the donor frame but you are a bit far from me and i am currently in debt for a rear wheel to my dad and i am saving up to buy a road bike this year maybe defy 5
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom