This whole numb hand thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beaker39

I also suffered numbness in my little fingers but got some new Ciba Gel Comfort gloves that i used for the first time yesterday and never got any tingling or numbness.....and this was after 100 miles .

Thoroughly recommended ;).

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I was just about to post a new thread about tingling sensations in hands when I came across this old thread!

During the week Husband was complaining about pins and needles in his hands. He does have Vibration white Finger so we put it down to that and getting used to the different riding position on the road bike. (we're both new to road biking). Yesterday however I suffered the same but only in one hand I wondered if it could be the uneven surfaces of the road? would better riding gloves alleviate the presure on the hands and absorbe the vibration of the road to stop this?

Norm

Yes, gloves with better vibration absorption will help but there could be other things that you could do as well.

Road bikes do (generally) put more pressure on the hands, and thus wrists and forearms, than flat-barred bikes. You can alleviate this by taking conscious breaks to lift each hand and shake it out every few minutes.

Road bikes also give at least 5 different hand positions, so vary your position and grip rather than just sitting on the hoods or the tops all of the time.

You might also find that the new position means that you are gripping the bars too hard, so just try consciously relaxing your grip and seeing if that helps.

It could, of course, be that you have mild carpal tunnel issues and you'll just get numb hands whatever (as I do, after a silly day riding a motorbike from Annecy to Windsor without gloves) but the above should still help.

twobiker

I found that on my tourer,sequoia with carbon forks and inserts, that i got numb hands after inflating the tyres really hard,did not happen before,also certain road surfaces seem to cause it and not others.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Yes, gloves with better vibration absorption will help but there could be other things that you could do as well.

Road bikes do (generally) put more pressure on the hands, and thus wrists and forearms, than flat-barred bikes. You can alleviate this by taking conscious breaks to lift each hand and shake it out every few minutes.

Road bikes also give at least 5 different hand positions, so vary your position and grip rather than just sitting on the hoods or the tops all of the time.

You might also find that the new position means that you are gripping the bars too hard, so just try consciously relaxing your grip and seeing if that helps.

It could, of course, be that you have mild carpal tunnel issues and you'll just get numb hands whatever (as I do, after a silly day riding a motorbike from Annecy to Windsor without gloves) but the above should still help.

Cheers Norm all that you've suggested I did instinctively yesterday, think I'm going to invest in a new pair of gloves...another thing My Dear Husband will tut at...mmmm maybe buy him some too :becool: that'll keep him sweet

Norm

When you are buying gloves, look specifically for those with gel in the right places for you and your bike.

It might seem obvious (especially if you've already picked up the obvious points about hand position) but take your bikes along and sit on them when trying the gloves to ensure the gel is properly placed. Different people need the cushioning to be in a different place many reasons (bar shape and type, bike geometry, individual skeletal issues etc) so you need to get something which works for you on your bike. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom