This whole numb hand thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mookie

I've got a really numb left heel of hand at the moment and it's because I've been out cycling for a couple of hours over the past two days (I know - wow, eh??!). I am really overweight, having given up smoking 18 months ago and piled it on, so am not sure whether I'm leaning really heavily on the handlebars...

Anyway, has anyone here suffered, and if so, what resolved it? I've looked through the forums and a few people seem to have changed handle bars - does the solution have to be this or has anyone had success from gel gloves? Alternatively, could a change of handlebar position help??

I don't have the same pain in my right hand, but then I'm probably moving it more as I change through the gears?

Any help, much appreciated!!

Maizie

Guru
mookie said:
I don't have the same pain in my right hand, but then I'm probably moving it more as I change through the gears?

Yup, I've just twigged to this one myself! I got both hands numb when I started, my left definitely worse. I got some gel-padded mitts - just cheapies - and they really helped, my right hand was fine, my left hand still a bit tingly. I got convinced it was my rings on my left hand making that finger number and so the rest of the hand feeling number. So I rode without rings on, but found my left hand still got tingly sometimes (though my right was fine, once I got gloves).
Took me ages to realise that I just don't move that hand so much because of hardly ever using the left gear thingy. Lo and behold, just remembering to move my left hand every so often seems to have fixed it, I ride with rings on again now and it's fine.

So I would say: Get some mitts if you haven't got any, try to remember to move your left hand about a bit (you might fancy a change of handlebars for this, but it might not be necessary, and if you have any tight jewellery on the left hand try a ride or two without it on!

OP
OP
mookie

mookie

Maizie said:
Yup, I've just twigged to this one myself! I got both hands numb when I started, my left definitely worse.

Hi Maizie

Thanks so much for replying - I actually don't have rings on my left hand because my fingers have gotten a little too big for them since putting the weight on :biggrin:

I think I'm going to get a pair of gel mitts - I've just seen a pair on CRC that might do the job and they get a reasonably good write up (and aren't that expensive)

It's bloody annoying though as it's numb right now and I haven't even ridden today :rolleyes:

Bodhbh

Guru
You can try gel mitts which seem to help alot (I lost mine on a tour recently and a month later one of my fingers is still slightly numb). Other thing is you could fit a slightly fatter tyre upfront or take a little pressure out the one you have.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I suffer badly from this.

I haven't found anything that completely solves the problem but I recommend Specialized body geometery MTB gloves (I think they may only be availalable fingerless.)

I've also recently fitted, as in first ride today recently, some Specialized phat gel bar tape (4.5mm version) and that coupled with the gloves does help.

I did try some cheap Gel gloves but personally found them a false economy as the gel just got crushed after a while and then I had to pay out for the Spesh ones on top.

Good luck, it's a very irritating (and uncomfortable) problem but I've personally found that the benefits of cycling outweigh it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had it last year... lost feeling in one of my little fingers... doc suggested the obvious (lay off it for a while) and/or adjusting my riding position (cool to hear this from the GP) and/or getting gel grips on bars (wasn't going to do this). I'm cycling more now than I was then, but I'm more careful about changing hand position frequently on longer rides, and haven't had a problem since. :smile:

OP
OP
mookie

mookie

Panter said:
I suffer badly from this.

I haven't found anything that completely solves the problem but I recommend Specialized body geometery MTB gloves (I think they may only be availalable fingerless.)

I think those might be the ones that got a really good write up a good review site - I'm hoping to visit a LBS this weekend with my husband (who's got the bug having used my bike :smile: ) so I think I'll try some out there.

Thank you!

OP
OP
mookie

mookie

Fnaar said:
I had it last year... lost feeling in one of my little fingers... doc suggested the obvious (lay off it for a while) and/or adjusting my riding position (cool to hear this from the GP) and/or getting gel grips on bars (wasn't going to do this). I'm cycling more now than I was then, but I'm more careful about changing hand position frequently on longer rides, and haven't had a problem since. :smile:

I think I've left moving my hand until it's been sore iykwim? Rather than move it so it doesn't get sore, I've left it till the damage was done.

Will be moving a lot from now on (need to move it seeing as it's so sore right now!!!)

Thank you!

medication25

think about adding some bar ends too, and switch between those and your handlbars this will help.. it helped me lots... i got the cane creek ones.. simple to fit and work well.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Get your ride position sorted first, so:-

saddle - height and distance from nose of saddle to centre of cranks, this gives correct pedalling point and should remain a constant

reach - distance from nose of saddle to bars, measure at any point but always use that point for future checks.

drop - distance from saddle to bars on the horizontal, ie bars lower/higher than saddle. I use a straight flat metal pole(old curtain pole, run from saddle to bars with a spirit level on top. Then raise spirit level at one end to get flat and measure gap between pole and level.

handlebar angle -the tilt of the bars, only relevant if you have drops, or bars with sides like bar ends, I find I like them tilted up.

The saddle height and position shouldn't be a variable as it's based around your leg length etc. All of the others are impacted by each other, ie the lower the bars are from the saddle the longer the reach. It really is trial and error from there on. One thing to remember is that your core body strength can make a difference as well. Early in a ride you'll be sitting well but, as tiredness creeps in, you may slump a bit thus putting more pressure on the upper body. Worth being aware of this and consciously trying to avoid slumping where possible.

Only when the position is really spot on would I consider investing in solutions around gloves, grips and gel bar tape. I did some of it arse about face and it just takes longer and costs more.

OP
OP
mookie

mookie

Touche said:

Thanks for that - I actually bought a pair of Specialized ones (before seeing Macbludgeon's post) but they're bloody rubbish - the screws that clamp the metal grip together are made of silver colour plastic I think because the allan key ended up spinning in it after a few turns. These look a lot better - cheers!

zacklaws

Guru
I have a tendency to get a numbness in my hands or stabbing pains up my arms from my hands on long (100 mile) rides sometimes despite wearing gel mitts. The way I sort it is to just ride for a short while with my little finger and thumb behind the handlebars and three fingers in front, this raises the palm of my hand off the bars and allows me to get feeling's back in my hand as the blood starts to circulate and still provide a firm grip.

jimboalee

MacBludgeon said:
Get your ride position sorted first, so:-

saddle - height and distance from nose of saddle to centre of cranks, this gives correct pedalling point and should remain a constant

reach - distance from nose of saddle to bars, measure at any point but always use that point for future checks.

drop - distance from saddle to bars on the horizontal, ie bars lower/higher than saddle. I use a straight flat metal pole(old curtain pole, run from saddle to bars with a spirit level on top. Then raise spirit level at one end to get flat and measure gap between pole and level.

handlebar angle -the tilt of the bars, only relevant if you have drops, or bars with sides like bar ends, I find I like them tilted up.

The saddle height and position shouldn't be a variable as it's based around your leg length etc. All of the others are impacted by each other, ie the lower the bars are from the saddle the longer the reach. It really is trial and error from there on. One thing to remember is that your core body strength can make a difference as well. Early in a ride you'll be sitting well but, as tiredness creeps in, you may slump a bit thus putting more pressure on the upper body. Worth being aware of this and consciously trying to avoid slumping where possible.

Only when the position is really spot on would I consider investing in solutions around gloves, grips and gel bar tape. I did some of it arse about face and it just takes longer and costs more.

Oh McB...

I've been out riding and you've beat me to this answer.

Renard

Riser bars give me numb hands. I changed to a flat bar on the mtb and it greatly improved the situation.

I don't think I've had it on the road bike though as you tend to change hand position more often.

Top Bottom