Needing a strategy at this annoying time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I'm in a dilemma.

I'm constantly coming down with bad colds, chest infections etc.. I've discussed this where it should be first, at the doctors and their answer is, this time of year / I'm probably more suseptible than others.

I've literally had a gap of 2 days feeling better then getting ill again, and previous a week better, then ill again, to make matters more infuriating, it seems I'm always ill on the nice desirable riding days, we've had some calm weather recently, and come next week when I expect to be better, raging easterlies and cold weather as well as rain will resume. - I can't train indoor, my current place of living isn't fit for purpose.

My form is horrible at the moment, I'm gaining weight due to the lack of cycling, probably only done a few hundred miles if that this year and when I do get the opportunities of feeling not ill and getting on the bike, I'm a bag of spanner, slow and struggling a long.

I'm trying to think of some strategies to help get some form when I do manage to get back on the bike, if I should keep it steady, or do some sort of intervals to try and get used to some higher intensity riding and get me used to it again.

Also diet wise, I need to improve it a bit given the lack of cycling, any suggestions of reasonably priced meals that ensure I'm full but are not full of junk? I can easilly starve myself at work if I wanted to over a 12 hour shift which I assume is entirely counter productive, however eating normally, I get hungry, I eat, and then want to eat more, I seem to have a huge appeatite, so I need foods that will avoid this.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sounds like you should not do any overly intense exercise at all until your system has strengthened. If you are always feeling that you need to ride strongly then I'd stop riding for a while to achieve healing.
As for filling foods - fruit and veg. If you want to nibble - eat an apple

Kingfisher101

Über Member
So I'm in a dilemma.

I'm constantly coming down with bad colds, chest infections etc.. I've discussed this where it should be first, at the doctors and their answer is, this time of year / I'm probably more suseptible than others.

I've literally had a gap of 2 days feeling better then getting ill again, and previous a week better, then ill again, to make matters more infuriating, it seems I'm always ill on the nice desirable riding days, we've had some calm weather recently, and come next week when I expect to be better, raging easterlies and cold weather as well as rain will resume. - I can't train indoor, my current place of living isn't fit for purpose.

My form is horrible at the moment, I'm gaining weight due to the lack of cycling, probably only done a few hundred miles if that this year and when I do get the opportunities of feeling not ill and getting on the bike, I'm a bag of spanner, slow and struggling a long.

I'm trying to think of some strategies to help get some form when I do manage to get back on the bike, if I should keep it steady, or do some sort of intervals to try and get used to some higher intensity riding and get me used to it again.

Also diet wise, I need to improve it a bit given the lack of cycling, any suggestions of reasonably priced meals that ensure I'm full but are not full of junk? I can easilly starve myself at work if I wanted to over a 12 hour shift which I assume is entirely counter productive, however eating normally, I get hungry, I eat, and then want to eat more, I seem to have a huge appeatite, so I need foods that will avoid this.

Porridge, eggs, lentils, chicken, fish etc are high protein items will fill you up and stop you being hungry.

Weakened immune system? Constantly falling ill isn’t normal. Have you had tests.

Yes everything is normal, just elevated count for something that's apparently normal when you're ill, is it white blood cells?

But aside from that, I'm on the barrier for anemia, but I always am.

After COVID in 2021 I went 1.5 years without much illness, I had the occasional initial signs of a chest infection or something however they fizzled out after a day, but now, the same signs always materialise.

I want to work a path forward that makes me feel better as it's bothering me a lot not been able to cycle, it's increasing my monthly transport costs £100 a month to get to work and I get the added bonus of been crammed in full with other peoples couging and spluttering.

The only other thing I can think of is, generally always had a slightly weaker immune system, my son started nursery in Jan and I think I might be paying the price for all the viruses he's bringing in?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Plenty of salad stuff.
Apples bananas grapes.
Vegetables.

How about some multivitamins?
Never used them but might be helpful?

@willhub just wondering if you have had your testosterone levels checked along with your thyroid? Low levels and an under/over active thyroid can all present as run down.

Other things that can contribute are stress at work, lack of sleep etc? Is there anything in your lifestyle that has changed?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Boom child in Nursery. Thats why. Filthy creatures.

Nephew's birthday coming up. Third. Gathering of filthy creatures first followed by family after. Phew.

I avoid them these days (little kids).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Did that strategy ward off the bugs for you? When you say megadose, how were you achieving this? And does your body just pee out excess though?

I have been using multi vitamins, they were more the soft sweet types 2 a day but I felt they didn't help me.

I tend to take the 1000mg soluble tablets you can pick up in most supermarkets. Your body pees out excess so you can't overdose on them. Anecdotally they seem to slow down the onset and length of colds. Scientifically I understand there is some evidence they shorten the period colds last. So not a cure but not harmful.
I also take echinacea when close relatives are suffering.

How should I determine when it's safe to ride again? I'm feeling almost better to the point I actually want to cycle. But I'm paranoid about bringing anything else on.

@willhub just wondering if you have had your testosterone levels checked along with your thyroid? Low levels and an under/over active thyroid can all present as run down.

Other things that can contribute are stress at work, lack of sleep etc? Is there anything in your lifestyle that has changed?

I'm sure they've checked it all.last.time I had a blood test, I only have one ball so you never know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom