Needing lower gearing, how best to do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
Hi all
I need to modify the gearing on my bike to make it a bit easier for me to ride. It's a Kona Jake the Snake, 105, 11-28 cassette and an FSA 36/46 chainset. I haven't ridden it in quite while and instead have rather got used to the easier gearing on my mountain bike and the 1x gearing on my gravel bike. I'd still like to ride the Jake now and again but when I tried it the other day I found the gearing too high now.
What is the largest rear sprocket I could get away with without having to change the rear mech? Or, what about swapping out the chainset for something like a 32/46 or 48, whatever combo is available. Its the original chainset and is well over 12 years old now so it owes me nothing. Is there anything that would marry up with the current BB30 bottom bracket it has now, the bearings are pressed into the frame. I know they are a bit iffy but over the years I have found it easy enough to renew the bearings when they inevitably start creaking, not expensive either.
Many thanks for any help and advice.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Hi all
I need to modify the gearing on my bike to make it a bit easier for me to ride. It's a Kona Jake the Snake, 105, 11-28 cassette and an FSA 36/46 chainset. I haven't ridden it in quite while and instead have rather got used to the easier gearing on my mountain bike and the 1x gearing on my gravel bike. I'd still like to ride the Jake now and again but when I tried it the other day I found the gearing too high now.
What is the largest rear sprocket I could get away with without having to change the rear mech? Or, what about swapping out the chainset for something like a 32/46 or 48, whatever combo is available. Its the original chainset and is well over 12 years old now so it owes me nothing. Is there anything that would marry up with the current BB30 bottom bracket it has now, the bearings are pressed into the frame. I know they are a bit iffy but over the years I have found it easy enough to renew the bearings when they inevitably start creaking, not expensive either.
Many thanks for any help and advice.

From my experience with short cage 105, I’m presuming that is what you have, you can swap the cassette to a 30t but also swap the inner front chainring for a 33t, the smallest you can go with a 110 BCD. This is the cheapest option and similar to what I did to my CX bike, you could of course swap the complete chainset and fit a longer cage rear mech.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Thanks, that's interesting. I think maybe the 33 chainring alone might have an advantage. I'll look at what's available

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, I know all about this....

What is the rear mech ? Check the model number on the rear of the jockey cage (the bit that holds two wheels) there will be a code like RD-5701GS or sum such.

I bought a CX bike last year, used, 10 year old. Owner upgraded to a 5701 GS rear mech to get a 32T top sprocket size, with a 36 x 46T chainset.

I've just fitted a 11-34T cassette and changed to a 34T inner ring for cheap (I've had the bike for 12 months). I've only moved from 36x32 to 34 x 34 because I have a long very hilly sportive to do in a few weeks.

Forget a 33.. hens teeth.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Cheers all.
Yes, I found the Spa cycles ones. It might be worth giving one a go, if its ok I can leave the rest alone and not need to spend too much money.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The easiest way I have found is either changing the chainrings and removing a couple of chain links. Or just ride on the small chainring.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The easiest way I have found is either changing the chainrings and removing a couple of chain links. Or just ride on the small chainring.

I think the op is just reducing the number of teeth on the small chainring (36 to 33t) so no need to alter the length of the chain.

Jameshow

Veteran
You can go up to 36t with a long cage Rd!
Oh, I know all about this....

What is the rear mech ? Check the model number on the rear of the jockey cage (the bit that holds two wheels) there will be a code like RD-5701GS or sum such.

I bought a CX bike last year, used, 10 year old. Owner upgraded to a 5701 GS rear mech to get a 32T top sprocket size, with a 36 x 46T chainset.

I've just fitted a 11-34T cassette and changed to a 34T inner ring for cheap (I've had the bike for 12 months). I've only moved from 36x32 to 34 x 34 because I have a long very hilly sportive to do in a few weeks.

Forget a 33.. hens teeth.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The 5701 (or 5702 - might be this one) is rated to 32T but it's OK with a 34 with the b screw wound in. I could try a 36T, but the 1:1 ratio got me up some incredibly steep climbs yesterday.

105 RD R7000 GS is rated to 34T officially. So probably OK for a couple more.
Just sayin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom